Friday, March 23, 2012

Veggie Garden Update

The garden had an early start this year,
due to our mild winter conditions.
Here's what we have growing at Maple Hill.


 

The sweet peas will soon start their ascent.



The beans are enjoying their spot under the new tepee.




This should make a cool fort for Lil' Guy
in a few more weeks.




Carrots are ready for harvesting.
I realize I should have done succession planting with them.
Live-n-learn!




These were my test plants.
Lil' Guy was amazed that we could pick our own carrots!



We like to make our own peanut butter,
so guess what we planted?




They started coming up this week.
This'll be a new venture, for sure.




The bamboo tepee last season supported sweet potato vines,
which we harvested not too long ago.




We have watermelons planted under it now.
I guess we'll see how strong it really is!



The sweet potatoes will be used as a border.
These did well last year, so they get to stay.
The bonus is that they display the most wonderful,
delicate purple blooms.




I sure wish I had started the lettuce earlier.
I kept waiting for the freezes,
which never came.
This is one of the best treats in the garden.




The pineapple is coming along.
This is the only one that is presently bearing fruit.
I never noticed the purple flowers on it before.

Maybe it's my imagination,
but I feel that it's getting easier to grow our food.
I know that I never want to be
without some sort of food source in our yard,
wherever we end up living.
What a blessing to have the space to produce
even the little bit we are.




The first sunflower of 2012!

Have a beautiful spring weekend, y'all!

ff


12 comments:

  1. I was so excited to arrive home last night to discover the snow was gone........and you have a sunflower in bloom?????????
    I better get busy!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is coming along wonderfully! I have just a few things popping up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. I can't believe how far along your garden is! It will be interesting to see how your peanuts end up doing :)
    katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to have all these veggies germinating and growing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many things growing! We have just planted a few veggies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue-I can't wait to see what you're gonna be growing this year. Your garden is always so beautiful.

    Clint Baker-Enjoy watching them sprout up each day!

    katy-Yeah, I'm curious about the peanuts myself.

    Darla-Thanks for visiting!

    The Bama Gardener-Our garden is small as well, since I'm new at this farming thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cant' wait to see what happens with your peanuts. Keep us in the LOOP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garden looks fabulous, Daisy! I once grew a pineapple in a container. It did not get large enough to eat, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my you have a sunflower already... I haven't even got my tomatoes planted yet...
    Everything looks wonderful!
    hugs, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth-Thanks, Beth! They are fun just to grow!

    cherry-Thanks. Happy planting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to see how the watermelon on that teepee turns out. Keep us updated on that for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!