Monday, November 22, 2010

Homemade Nut Butter












 
Peanut Butter
1 C peanuts (or nut of choice)
1 T peanut or corn oil
1/4 t salt
1 t sugar
We bought a big bag of roasted peanuts
(unsalted) and spent some time this
weekend shelling them. Try to remove
all the skins as you shell. 
 I had some
neighborhood helpers, so the job
went fast (in between sampling).









I use my mini-processor for this job. This has
been one of the most useful tools in my kitchen.
A blender might work just as well, but I find this
lil' gizmo does a great job. Just throw the cup
of nuts into the mixing bowl and let 'er rip!
Here's what it looks like after you add the oil.











We didn't have peanut oil, so we used corn.
This got whizzed for about 2 minutes.
The salt and sugar was added (you can omit either
or both). Continue whizzing until you get the
consistency you desire. 
We like ours kinda on the
smoother side.
It took about another minute or so to look like this.





 











The peanut taste is sooooooooooo intense! 
We spread some on rice cakes and gobbled it up. 
I'm always looking for foods to expand my
lil' guy's diet. 
He hasn't had peanut butter in years, due to his sensitivities
with other foods. 
We are adding things back slowly. He raved about
this stuff! 

Guess I know what's for lunch!


Key Code: T=tablespoon t=teaspoon C=cup




2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! I wonder, can you use vegetable oil? I don't think I have corn oil. Or maybe coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dollwood Farms-I think pretty much any oil would do. We didn't have peanut oil, so we used what we had. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!