Sunday, November 7, 2010

Backyard Gardeners Festival

This time of year is wonderful for those of us who feel compelled to be outside as
many of the daylight hours as possible. The Backyard Gardeners Festival at the
Extension Center in Bartow http://polk.ifas.ufl.edu/ lends itself well to this pursuit.
I've posted here some snapshots of the grounds.



What a beautiful day it was. The positive energy in the air was palpable. Being around other souls who are creative and appreciate the beauty and wonder of nature is always time well spent. I sat in on a seminar about using native materials in the landscape. I was surprised to realize how many of these I have already growing in my garden.

I was able to pick up two milkweed plants and something called a butterfly vine, which I had never heard of before. Its yellow blooms are supposed to resemble a butterfly with wings extended. Now that sounds like a show-stopper! I've been wanting to use the remaining bamboo poles I had purchased a few weeks ago. Now I've got the chance to add some height to the back bed. I'll be installing these this afternoon when it warms up a bit.

I'm looking forward to inviting more butterflies into the yard.

Can't wait for the next big gardening event!

Beautyberry


Muhly grass



Beach sunflower

Compost, anyone?

Blanketflower


Ladybugs still find these dried buds useful.



Y'all come back now, y'hear?

4 comments:

  1. You are so right,Daisy. Can't get enough of being outdoors right now. All the little critters are alive with enthusiasm at this cooler weather as well.Looks like you had fun and brought home some good stuff. Enjoy the beauty of our Florida fall while you're still here.
    Meems

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meems! I love being home while the weather is cool. So much motivation to add things to the garden. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was at the extension center that Saturday myself! Brought back a few treasures of my own. Wish those master gardeners would host more events like that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that the truth? I would love to take one of their Master Gardener courses. Hope you enjoy your new treasures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!