Monday, March 12, 2012

Homemade Rice Milk II

About a month ago, the decision was made
to make our own rice milk.
The first recipe I tried can be found here.
I found that version best for baking and cooking,
as it was a bit on the thin side.
I wanted something to use for my daily bowl of oatmeal
and to put in my cup a joe.
This new concoction was found here.
It's basically the same formula as the first,
the difference is that the rice is cooked much longer.



1 C brown rice is cooked in 8 C water and 1 t salt.
Have some extra water handy for diluting.
Thoroughly wash rice.
Add water to pot and bring to a boil.
Stir in rice, cover and simmer 3 hours.
Add salt.



Fill container with 1/2 rice mixture and 1/2 water
(in order to dilute).
Blend until smooth.




Strain twice.
Add 2 T sunflower oil or
4 T maple syrup, if desired.




Makes five 1-pint jars.
Enjoy!