Monday, September 19, 2011

Coffee to the Rescue!



This sago palm was placed here by the builder of our home.
I'm not a tropical or palm kinda gal,
so I would never have thought to add it to the landscaping.




Now that I've watched it go through it's transformation,
I have to say that it's pretty impressive.




The fronds put on quite a show when they unfurl.




Then this happens.
Scaly white growth on the underside of the fronds.
Not only looks unsightly,
but you just know it can't be a good thing.
What to do?




Coffee grounds save the day!




We simply apply it to the crown of the plant,
as well as around the base.
A "tea" can also be made by mixing grounds with water
and adding it around the base of the plant.





Works like a charm!


8 comments:

  1. I use coffee grounds on the blueberries. Seems to be an all-around handy thing to have around. And my doctor says to quit? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I always knew coffee was the 'nectar of the gods' (giggle), and I heard that it was good for the garden, but, never knew about putting it in the crown of a plant to prevent stuff like scales--can you tell a newbie--how and why does this work, Daisy? What was the white scaly stuff on the bottom of the plant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see those coffee grounds helping your Sago. I tend one at my church garden and I used the grounds and made the tea. It really does work! I don't think it is permanent though. But, coffee grounds are easily obtained so repeat applications aren't hard to do.

    Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I learned about this technique from another's blog. That's the great thing about being able to share our ups and downs in the garden. Never know when you can help out a fellow gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, when I saw the title of the post, I thought you meant it saved you. In my case, coffee saves my day everyday, lol. Who knew it could help plants as well. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue-It's too good to give up!

    Kat-As a newbie too, I don't know the answers! I just know it works!

    NanaK-Yeah, I LOVE learning from other bloggers!

    Stephanie-I know what you mean. I just love my java!

    Ames-Learn somethin' new everyday, huh? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea.
    We have two of these in our yard that the previous owner had planted. I wrote a blog post about our moving them here:

    I too am not a tropical plant kind of person, but would hate to see ours die off. I'll keep an eye out for the white stuff and remember this idea.
    http://www.thenotsoperfecthousewife.com/2011/09/my-hubby-vs-sago-palm.html
    I found your blog via Florida Gardners on Facebook :-) I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Not So Perfect Housewife-Welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!