Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pleasing Portulaca



Portulacas are a new addition to the garden this year.
Once described as "paper flowers"
due to their delicate blooms,
these beauties may look frail,
but they easily withstand poor conditions.



Thriving in poor or sandy soil and highly drought-tolerant,
these sweethearts ask for very little
but give the gardener quite a show.

The ruffled petals just keep on coming,
cast in vibrant colors.
You will sometimes find several hues on one plant.



Almost rose-like in appearance before blooming,
portulacas have a most interesting range of textures
contained within each plant.

















I think they're keepers...











8 comments:

  1. I love the portulacas-especially the pinks. I didn't realize how readily they self sow...I have them growing wild in the vegetable garden and love them how they pop up in the most unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have quite a few myself....self seed and easy peasy to root.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had some. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so very pretty, and I'll have to get them next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that they are so easy to grow. Never fussy. Drought - rain - it doesn't care. And I love that they have so many color blooms on one plant. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue-I was perplexed when I first discovered them popping up!

    Darla-Can't ask for more, right?

    Zoey-Glad you enjoyed 'em!

    Mumsy-Yes, I highly recommend them!

    Becca's Dirt-Thanks. I agree with you on easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful blooms! Love the different shades of pink. Are they an annual there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean-That's a good question! As it's the first time they've been grown here, I'm not sure. I guess we'll find out at the year progresses! ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!