Monday, July 18, 2011

Homemade Glass Cleaner

We've been using homemade cleaning products for years.
With lil' guy's sensitivities, it only made sense.
The bonus is that it cost just pennies
to keep our home spic-n-span.

Up to now, I've been using a recipe
that included rubbing alcohol.
I decided to try this one when I came upon it
in the book by Renee Loux called Easy Green Living.
It works quite well,
so the switch has been made.



Clear and Clean Glass Spray
1/4 C white distilled vinegar
1/2 t liquid soap (we love Dr. Bronner's peppermint)
1 3/4 C water
8 drops essential oil
(Since we used peppermint soap,
we omitted the essential oil).




Mix all ingredients in a bowl.





We reuse a spray bottle from a cleaner used long ago...




It's clearly marked so that anyone can feel free to use it...
please...anyone...

Our Sunday paper is the perfect material to wipe away
dust and smudges.
Then it goes right into the recycle bin!

Simple, practical and economical.
A winning combination !








8 comments:

  1. Great recipe. How we have been brainwashed that you need toxic chemicals to have a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used a homemade recipe for 25 years but it contains alcohol as well. I've always used vinegar and water (wipe with newspaper) for my glass. But I like the idea of adding the soap. I've been using Vermont Organic Soaps http://www.vermontsoap.com/ and they have an all-purpose liquid concentrate I love for mixing with water for my cleaning products, too.

    Thanks as always for the GREAT tips and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just found a recipe that contained alcohol but I haven't mixed it up yet. I'm glad you posted this. It sounds more like something I want to try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane-We just need to get used to questioning standard practices.

    Meems-I'm glad it was helpful!

    Patti-I thought it sounded a bit gentler. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hop ... hop... hop ... here I am, and I love it! I plan to partake of this recipe! I have been using vinegar and water,with TTO, but no soap.
    look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally-Great! Hope it works for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you! I made one like this a long time ago, and used it all the time. It cleaned so well! Then I lost the recipe and couldn't find one that worked as well. Your's is so similar, except I think the peppermint soap has to be even better! I'll be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, Stephanie! Yeah, the peppermint is very invigorating! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!