Friday, November 23, 2012

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie

With Lil' Guy's sensitivities to wheat, soy, dairy,
and a multitude of other ingredients,
it can be challenging to offer him traditional foods.
I found this recipe here
and it required no substitutions,
so I gave it a go.
I'm glad I did!
This is a great recipe for those following a raw diet,
as there is no baking involved!




This is the first time I've used dates,
but they really add a subtle sweetness to the crust.



The crust is pressed down into a glass pie shell.




The filling gets whizzed in the processor.
One bowl, less to clean up!




Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie

Crust:
1/2 cup raw pecans (other nuts will work)
1/2 cup dates (soaked in water for 2 hours)

Filling:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
juice of a lemon (I used 3 T)
1 t vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup honey, warmed (agave for vegan)
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
4 T sucanat
1/4 cup water if needed

Process nuts and dates until somewhat smooth.
(I liked the nutty texture, so I kept it rustic)
Fill pie plate with crust and press down.
Melt coconut oil.
Place remaining ingredients in processor
and combine until smooth.
If too thick, add water 1 T at a time to desired consistency.
(Ours turned out perfectly fine without added water.)
Pour filling into pie crust.
Freeze 2 hours, then defrost 15 minutes before serving.
Keep in fridge 3-4 days, or in freezer for up to 1 month.
Enjoy!


homestead barn hop linky