Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So, That's Tickseed!

These beauties popped up on the side of our house
a couple of months ago leaving me guessing. 





I get the Birds and Blooms Newsletter sent to my email box.
It's always filled with interesting tidbits
about gardening and birding.

After reading an article on their website,
the mystery was solved.



Tickseed is actually the state wildflower of Florida.
Who knew?



The contrast in colors is striking.



These sweet lovelies don't ask for much.
They do well in full or part sun,
sandy or poor soils
and can tolerate a bit of drought.



Now that I know what they are,
I'll be planting more of this seed
in other areas of the garden.
Thanks to Meems at Hoe & Shovel for the bounty of seeds.
It'll be fun experimenting with different
conditions to see where these blooms will best thrive.

***I'm happiest with my hands in the dirt.***