Friday, May 18, 2012

Black Beans and Rice

Beans are one of nature's most perfect foods.
They are packed with minerals, protein and fiber.
Here's one of our favorite ways to enjoy them.



Black Beans and Rice

2 C cooked black beans (any kind will do)
1 onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 t cumin
2 t salt
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf


Sautee onion with spices until tender (6 minutes).
Add cooked beans and tomato. 
Let simmer at least 10 minutes.
(This dish is actually better the next day.)
Remove bay leaf.
Serve with white or brown rice,
pasta or added to tacos or chili.
Enjoy!

See our simple method for cooking beans here.

Hosting



5 comments:

  1. I agree beans are the perfect food. And what a great go-to meal is beans and rice. Everything you need to keep you going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites, too. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane-And so easy when you have cooked beans already in the freezer!

    Susan-It is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just recently started making meals more with beans and we have planted all kinds in the garden this year. Your recipe sounds exceptionally good and easy too. I'll have to give it a try ☺ Thank you for sharing in my recipe hop last week and my apologies for being late to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Hudak-Collins-You're more than welcome. I aspire to grow my own beans someday! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!