Monday, October 17, 2011

A Mom's Job is Never Done...



People in my house are starving.
Towels haven't been laundered in a week.
The dust has reached new heights
and the kitchen floor is sticky.

Why, you say?



Momma's been sick.

I can count on one hand (thankfully) the number of times
when I've been under the weather in the past few years.
It usually passes in a couple of days,
but we're headed into next week and I'm still not up to par.
It's mostly just a cough (my ribs were so sore) and fatigue.
I rested as much as possible over the weekend
and that helped tremendously.
Here are a few things I did to help
my body get back into balance.

Rest-This meant I had to force myself to stay in bed and ask others for help, something not always easy for me to do.

Warm water with lemon and honey-so soothing and assures you are getting enough fluids.

Compress-Soak a washcloth in water as hot as you can stand it and place on your face-instant relief from pressure and congestion.

Hot shower-Steam up the bathroom and breathe in all that healing vapor.  Water is magic, especially when you're sick.

Cough & throat soother-We stay away from conventional medicines as much as possible due to all the junk usually found in them.  I needed relief for this cough, so I researched making my own cough remedy.  I didn't have all the ingredients needed, so I adapted it to what I had.  Try this homemade version the next time your loved ones need a bit of relief.  It tastes great and helps tame that cough.

Homemade Cough Remedy
2 C distilled water
1 T fresh thyme
1 t chamomile (I used a teabag's worth)
2 T honey
*These additional ingredients can be added:
fresh sage, ginger, cloves and fennel seeds.

Place ingredients except honey in stock pot and bring to
a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
Strain herbs and transfer liquid to glass jar.
Add honey.
Keep in a dark, dry shelf for up to 3 months.
Take 1 t as needed.

May today bring you joy and wellness!