Monday, October 3, 2011

Baked Spaghetti



I adapted this recipe from one I saw on Paula Deen's show.
Let me tell you,
it's one of the best things I've ever made.
OMGosh-you've just gotta try it!
It'll fill your belly in the most comforting way.

I make three types at the same time:
 Gluten-free for Lil' Guy, standard for Big K
and vegetarian (pictured above) for me.
Here's my version:

Baked Spaghetti

2 C homemade gravy (tomato sauce)
1/2 C diced onions
2 t olive oil
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 1/2 t Italian seasoning
1 1/2  t seasoned salt
1 1/2 t sucanat
2  bay leaves
1 lb. spaghetti
1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
1 1/2 C grated cheddar cheese

Saute onions in olive oil.  Add meat to skillet to brown. 
For the vegetarian option, use soy crumbles instead. 
Add homemade gravy (tomato sauce),
bay leaves and seasonings.
Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare pasta.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cover bottom of a 13 X 9 X 2" pan with 1/3 gravy.
Add 1/2 pasta, then 1/2 cheese. 
Repeat the layer, ending with gravy on top.
Bake 25-30 minutes.
Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. do you think brown sugar would work instead of sucanat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just found tonights dinner. And you poor thing making dinner 3 ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great...but could I use brown or regular sugar instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pasta and this dish sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim-Yeah, I'm sure it would.

    Jane-Let me know how you like it.

    Treasures Evermore-Sure could!

    Susan-Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!