Friday, June 7, 2013

Summer Storm "Stewp"






Six days into hurricane season 
and we've already had a tropical storm blow through.
Yesterday TS Andrea came to town 
and brought high winds, and lots of much-needed rain.  

Our rain gauge read almost three inches within a 24-hour period.
You won't hear one complaint from me.
After all the seeds I planted this week,
I can't wait to see what pops up!




When the day brings rain and dreary skies,
I feel the need to make something hearty.
Although you'd think soup would be the last thing to eat 
during these summer-like days,
when a dampness fills the air, 
it feels good to eat something warm and comforting.

This was thrown together in a flash 
because lentils require no soaking, as other legumes do.
You can add more or less water 
depending on how thick you want it to be,
therefore the title "stewp" (stew/soup).
It's great alone, but could be served over rice, couscous, 
quinoa or with homemade bread.
The next time you get a summer storm, give this recipe a try.
It'll make everything alright.




Summer Storm Soup/Stew

1/2 C leek, sliced
1/2 C sweet onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, grated
3/4 C lentils
water or stock to cover
2 T olive oil
pinch red pepper flakes
2 t Italian herbs
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
1 T parsley

In medium soup pot, saute onion, leek, 
carrots and garlic in olive oil 5 minutes.
Add lentils and enough water or stock to cover lentils.
Add seasonings, except parsley and simmer 20 minutes.
Taste for salt and adjust to your liking.
Add parsley.
I add another 1 or 2 T olive oil to finish.
Enjoy!




barnhopimage

Logo-Logo_25



12 comments:

  1. We had a full day of pouring rain yesterday too. It was nice not to have to water the garden! :) Your soup sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden really responds to rain water. Such a treat.

      Delete
  2. Stewp - I love it! I was wondering what the post was about haha. It looks yummy and perfect for the weather you're having right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stewp! I love it, I may have to use that word around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new word!! :) I love lentils so this looks so good and homey. Rained all day here yesterday and my garden weeds are almost as tall as the veggies now. We should have a break later today and tomorrow so weeding is on my "to do" list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Rachael Ray use the word, not sure how she spells it, but it fits this dish.
      Wish I could be there to help you weed. I'm an expert! ;0)

      Delete
  5. Sounds yummy! Glad that you got some needed rain! Thanks for visiting me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Your soup looks delicious. I've never tried lentils, but you're making me want to try them.

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. You asked about the the pine trees I had posted about - they, actually, started on their own from the parent tree. I just dug them up to transplant.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lentils are packed with nutrients and they have a mild flavor for those who don't adore beans. Check the recipe index for more lentil recipes!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!