Monday, June 10, 2013

Hosta Envy No More


These hostas were found recently on a shopping trip.
It's a bit past time to plant them here,
but I guess that's why they were on sale.



I've wanted hostas for a long time.
They always seem to give a garden so much life,
so much lushness, so much tranquility.
Many of the gardening blogs that I read feature hostas,
and I have been guilty of serious hosta envy.





The problem has always been that 
we lack the shade in which they thrive.
I decided to give it a go with the conditions we have.


We were able to create just a bit of shade in the backyard,
using these saltbush trees that pop up all over.
It's about the only chance we have
to create success for shade loving plants.


It's amazing to me that these starts 
are simply dried roots of a former plant.
The package said there were three in the package.
Ka-ching!  
I found four!



Here are the fine roots that take hold in the ground.
Hard to believe that these little suckers 
will nurture a gorgeous plant like this:

Hosta 'Minuteman'





Hopefully, they will find happiness among the ferns.



Hope you get to acquire something you've been longing for!

monday's homestead barn hop








16 comments:

  1. I've been trying to acquire a money tree, but haven't found one yet! Ha!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, now there's something everyone could use! ;0)

      Delete
  2. THAT is the exact Hosta I want in my front yard. They're hard to find right now. I hadn't thought of buying them bare root...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find 'em, let me know and I'll send you some.

      Delete
  3. Hostas seem to be more tolerant to sunny locations anymore. Love the variegated leaves on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you were able to find some hostas. When we bought the house, there were three hostas planted out front. We have divided them several times and they just grow like crazy! We've also brought some out from some family members' gardens and they are doing pretty good. I love hostas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to be able to add more to your garden without paying for them!

      Delete
  5. I love hostas. They're so lush and green and cool-looking. So glad you found some! (I think they look especially beautiful with ferns.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many varieties, it just amazes me!

      Delete
  6. You crack me up! :) I'm fortunate enough to have inherited a load of hosta's {and ferns} with the purchase of our house. I love them and especially love using the leaves in fresh flower bouquets. They are such a humble plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of using them in arrangements. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I hope they grow for you! I LOVE my hostas and can't imagine the garden without them. The variegated leaves will be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got 1/4 inch of rain last night, so hopefully that will help!

      Delete
  8. Hi! New follower here! I found your post on the Backyard Farming Connection blog hop. I was drawn to it immediately because I love Hostas too! Then, when I clicked on the link and got to your blog, I was pleasantly surprised because the name of my blog and our homestead is Maple Grove. I felt two connections immediately! I love your blog and am going to spend some time reading and catching up on it! I'm happy to find you and invite you to visit me at Maple Grove. Here's a link to my Hosta fetish post: http://maplegroveplace.blogspot.com/2012/08/i-love-hostas-and-shade-gardens.html
    ~Katie/Maple Grove (I hope your Hostas perform amazingly!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. So glad you found something you liked here. Looking forward to exploring your blog.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!