Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bloomin' Tuesday


The heat and humidity are upon us.
I'm not complaining too much though,
because it's also brought some much-needed rain.
The past week has given us over 2 inches.
What a treat!

Things are startin' to look lively around here!


Shasta daisy



Sweet potato vine with cosmos and thryallis



Backyard jasmine, sage and bulbine






Not sure what this funky lil' thing is, but it's growing.
I think it should be blooming soon.




The leaf tips sort of unwind from a spiral shape.




Some of the sunflowers are lovin' the consistent rain.
I'm right there with 'em.


Ferns and daisies

morning glory vine



morning glory bloom




morning glory lover




The thryallis is blooming like crazy!
This beauty doesn't ask for a thing,
although I trim it back a couple of times a year.




The dwarf Fakahatchee is a native that really makes an impact.
I kinda wish I had a few more.



Agapanthus blooms



I'm a cotton-pickin' native lover!



The first beans I planted in the square-foot bed 
got eaten by something.
I had started some others in cell pots 
and transplanted them a couple of weeks ago.
After reading about natural pest control, 
I decided to try this method of dealing 
with whatever it was that was enjoying our produce.



A few of Lil' Guy's Dixie cups were borrowed for the project.



The bottoms were cut out.




The idea is that the cup acts as a collar 
so that the creepy crawler can't get at the crop.



We'll see if it helps.
It does add a little eccentricity to the garden.
That works for me!




As you may be able to detect here,
our turtle beans had suffered the same fate,
so we used the same treatment.



So far, so good.
These came up this week after being reseeded with the collars on.



The Calabaza pumpkins are faring pretty well.
I have to say I'm a bit surprised.




The two shown here are planted under the lemon tree 
to provide a smidgeon of relief from the blazing sun.




This is a good sign.



This lettuce is in the square-foot bed, 
exposed to the scorching heat.
It's since bolted.
I placed a couple others in pots under some shade,
although I think it's just too hot to expect any goodies from them.




This San Marzano roma plant is also enjoying some shade.
So far, it looks pretty good, 
but I don't want to jinx myself.
It's the first time I've tried to grow my own tomatoes for gravy.



This is a variety called Old Virginia tomato.
It's in a pot too, although still out in the direct sun.



A week later, it looks like this.
Anything I get from it will be so appreciated.




We have three pineapples growing right now.
This one looks nearest to being ripe.
Pineapple is one of the best fruits for digestion.



The beautyberry is loaded with these 
delicate, poofy blooms.
(That's the technical term.)





The wildflowers reseed easily 
with absolutely no help from me.



society garlic



Since the square-foot garden is looking pretty sparse,
I decided to plant some flowers around it.
I never tire of zinnias.


gerbera daisy



The lillies decided to make a return appearance.
You'll get no complaint from me.
Anything that is willing to bloom in this heat 
gets a sincere thank you from me!

Forgive me,
but I just couldn't help sharing these frog "fotos".






Hope your garden is thriving, 
whatever the conditions!


17 comments:

  1. Zinnias are such cheerful flowers. I love them too.

    Your frog is smiling. Guess he loves your blooms too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daisy, Your garden is looking fantastic! Great frog photos. I like the thryallis bush. I've never seen or heard of it. You will enjoy your beans and tomatoes this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't usually get to harvest maters and beans in the summer, so we'll see how it goes.
      Thanks for stopping by, Beth!

      Delete
  3. I love all of the things growing in your garden! I can't believe you grow pineapples! How cool is that! I would love to be able to grow those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have pineapples?! Wow! That is so awesome. I bet they are so delicious. I love all the photos, especially the different daisies. Everything is looking great in your garden right now. And really cute frog shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE your garden blooms! And your little froggy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so many wonderful things blooming! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your interesting post! The Dixie cups are fun! Will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the frog pictures! We don't see any around here anymore :( Your lettuce head is beautiful - I'm always plucking leaves off mine for salads so they never look like yours. Here's my garden: http://lifeinthemicro.blogspot.com/2013/06/catherine-catherine-how-does-your.html. I think I will have to play along on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!