Friday, June 14, 2013

Pecan Pie Muffins


I love me some pecans.
They are added every morning to my bowl of oatmeal.
Anything can be made better with the addition of these nutty gems.




Over the last few weeks in reading the Rindy Mae blog,
there have been a few recipes that I have taken notice of.
When I read Mindy's post about these treats, 
I knew I had to try them.
As usual, we tweaked the recipe to our needs and likes.


 We use sucanat instead of white or brown sugar.
It seems to keep sugar levels on a more even keel.
Sugar also makes my skin break out,
and I've noticed that since I have been avoiding it,
my skin is much improved.



 The original recipe recommended toasting the pecans,
but I didn't bother.
(Perhaps I was just a little impatient to get to the tasting?)



 OMGosh.  Pecan overload.
No such thing...



The batter was surprisingly loose.
Not sure if it's because we use rice milk 
instead of the thicker cow's milk.


Delicious, nutty goodness in every bite.


Although we changed a few of the ingredients,
these were dee-lish.
I altered the original recipe 
because these were really sweeter than I liked.
The tweaked recipe is what I've posted here,
but you can find the original here.

Pecan Pie Muffins
(RindyMae)

2/3 C flour
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 C sucanat
1/4 C butter, room temperature
3 eggs
1/4 C maple syrup
3/4 C rice milk
1 t vanilla
2 C pecans, chopped

Add dry ingredients (except pecans) into medium bowl.
Measure out liquids in glass measuring cup and then add to dry.
Stir until thoroughly mixed.
Place mini muffin liners in pan and add pecans.
Pour or spoon mixed batter into molds.
Bake at 350 degrees 20-25 minutes.
Makes three and a half dozen mini-muffins.
Enjoy!






6 comments:

  1. Oooh yummy! I love pecans and eat them every day in my oatmeal or granola. These muffins sound so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look great! I've never tried sucanat before, but I'm very interested. Sugar makes me break out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delish! We got a fairly good pecan harvest last year, and hopefully this year too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!