Thursday, April 28, 2011

Got Heat? No Problem!

I picked up these beauties at the recent
Spring Obsession last month.
What a wonderful idea that turned out to be!


These Florida-friendly plants are thriving in the heat.
With minimal watering and almost full-day sun,
they have already grown three times
the size they were when I bought them a few weeks back.


These will most likely get divided once they stop blooming.
I would love to pair them with something
in the purple or blue family.
Maybe salvia?




The tall spikes of bright yellow blooms
pour out of thick tufts of green foliage.
I'd call them spires of sunshine.



"Characteristics

Bulbine has become a popular plant in Florida because it is drought tolerant, grows well in poor soils, and blooms repeatedly with cheerful flowers that are yellow or orange, depending on the variety. It is suited for gardens in USDA Zones 9-11 and is hardy to the low 20s.

It makes a great ground cover since each plant will grow over time to form a clump that can reach up to four feet wide. This clumping habit also makes bulbine
a great passalong plant.

The succulent, grass-like foliage grows to about a foot tall, while the flower stalks typically reach two feet, dancing above the leaves throughout the summer months."






The foliage alone is amazing.
It reminds me of green pasta.
Maybe it's the Italian in me.



How sweet are those flowers?
We presently only water twice per week,
so I've been checking on these
to see if they needed any supplemental water.
Nope.
When everything else in the garden is sweltering,
these glorious wonders of nature
just keep on blooming and growing.

I'll be looking for more of these at an upcoming garden event.
Next to natives, Florida-friendly is the way to go.
They leave a gardener feeling very satisfied.





6 comments:

  1. Daisy,
    So happy your bulbine is pleasing you and your garden is happier with it, too. You've found a wonderful addition that you'll find yourself dividing and spreading. Once those are fully established they'll survive on rainfall alone. It is an amazing little plant that excels in dry, hot conditions but will also flourish in better soils with some shade. I love it, too. And I am partial to the yellow variety!
    Meems

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow - those flower spikes are really quite amazing! How great that you have found a heat-tolerant plant that is so pretty!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness we have some heat-loving plants to choose from because we really need them around here. I don't have this plant but based on your recommendation I've got to get some. I do have a hot and dry spot they just might like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meems-I wouldn't mind having some of the orange color too! Hopefully, I'll find some this weekend at the native plant event.

    Katy-It's not always easy to find beauties to stand up to the heat and humidity of Central Florida!

    Susan-I give them 5 stars! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are very pretty. i love yellows....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!