Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

One of my new year's resolutions was to
cut back on white sugar. 
Turns out I found a perfect substitute.
I'm using sucanat in all of my baked goods now.
Don't miss the white stuff at all!
I've also been experimenting with light olive oil
instead of butter or shortening, and it works great!
Who knew?



Hold the Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 C light olive oil
1/2 C butter
1 C sucanat (or brown sugar, if you must)
1/2 t baking soda
2 eggs
1/8 C vanilla rice milk
1 t vanilla
2 1/2 C unbleached flour
2 handfuls Sunspire chocolate chips
1 handful chopped walnuts or pecans

Beat butter, oil and sucanat together in bowl
until thoroughly combined.
Beat eggs, vanilla and rice milk in measuring cup.
Add flour and soda to medium mixing bowl and whisk to sift.
Add butter mixture, then egg mixture and beat
just until combined.
Add in chips and nuts.
Use small ice cream scoop to transfer dough
onto parchment-lined cookie sheets.
Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes,
then transfer to cooling racks.
Enjoy!

This recipe makes at least 3 dozen cookies.

4 comments:

  1. I have been in the mood for chocolate chip cookies. Thanks for the recipe. I just need to get the chips and I will be in business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane-When am I not in the mood for chocolate??? I'm eating the last one tonight and will be making them with oatmeal tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy! What exactly is sucanant (hope I spelled that right) :-)

    I'd like to eliminate more white sugar, but still have my cookies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan-Sucanat is a natural sweetener. This is the one I use: http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands/Wholesome_Sweeteners/Fair_Trade_Certified_Organic_Sucanat.html
    Maybe I should do a post on it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!