Monday, March 14, 2011

Veggie Garden Update

The square foot garden is green again.
Yippppeeeeeee!





Carrots are something we use a lot of around here...

 

Two types of lettuce are starting to finally
fill out.  I got a late start on them.
But I can't wait to be able to pick my own salad greens.



This is the first time I've tried to grow garlic.
Being half Italian and half French, I have no choice but
to add this ingredient to almost every dish!


I use thyme for the boys' chicken recipes.
The aroma is subtle but divine.



Parsley is a staple here.  Some is
grown for caterpillars, some for our use
as well as some shared with neighbors.
I noticed quite a few ladybugs on this plant.
The more the merrier!

 

This is also the first time we are growing our own potatoes.
Being the carb lovers we are, I can imagine the magic
when we start to dig 'em up!

 

Hoping spring peas will be ready for the table soon.



Green beans are wonderful served as a side
or thrown into a salad. 
It's a wonderful feeling knowing that with each seed planted,
we are relying more on our own efforts
and not expecting someone else to feed us.
I'm so grateful I have a patch of land for just this purpose.



Even the grapevine is coming back. 
Before it could bear any fruit, the freezes came and killed off
any chance of sweet treats.
This is a volunteer, so I'm not sure exactly what to expect.
I'm open to anything at this point!

Here's hoping your harvest is bountiful! 



2 comments:

  1. Oh! I just love coming to your house and drooling over the greenery! I love the square foot garden idea and have been researching it! What a concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa-It's so easy! And you have enough space to put in a few!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Peace,
    ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!