Thursday, March 10, 2011

Peanuts and More!

This week the arrival of seeds from
had me thinking of
how important it is for us to support
those who provide us with
heirlooms and organics for our home garden.
Southern Exposure is a company which promotes
seeds that do especially well
in the southern garden.

From their website:
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange offers more than 700 varieties of vegetable, flower, herb, grain and cover crop seeds. We emphasize varieties that perform well in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast, although gardeners and farmers from all over the country grow our seeds. We do extensive germination and purity testing to ensure that we always provide the highest quality possible.
Read in our resource library about why
we specialize in heirloom seeds and
primarily offer open-pollinated (non-hybrid) seeds.








It's always so exciting to get seeds in the mail.
It's especially thrilling to try seeds
from a vendor never before tried.
I thought I'd start with just a few
and see how it goes...



Do these look familiar? 

They are peanuts,
mailed in the shell to protect them. 
I can honestly say that before my awakening
to the self-sufficient lifestyle, it would never have
occurred to me to grow peanuts for our
homemade nut butter.
The more I learn, the more I want to try.
Ambition is a contagious thing...