Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Better Off by Eric Brende
***


"What happens when a graduate of MIT, the bastion of technological advancement, and his bride move to a community so primitive in its technology that even Amish groups consider it antiquated?
Eric Brende conceives a real-life experiment:  to see if, in fact, all our cell phones, wide-screen TVs, and SUVs have made life easier and better-or whether life would be preferable without them."

In this first-person account, the author shares his experience living among some mighty simple folk.  From planting, growing and harvesting their own food, to dealing with the isolation felt even within the community, to assisting with the birth of their first child, Eric Brende communicates the challenges and rewards of turning off technology.  Eric and his wife Mary tackle the everyday chores of living, with the added intensity of knowing that they are solely responsible for making things work.  Learning takes place on a daily basis for these two young adventurers.  Based on the way the book ends, it's fair to say that the 18-month experiment left a lasting mark on them.

6 comments:

  1. Looks interesting. Have you read it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tami-I only review books I've personally read. The section of the review written in regular print (not itallics) is mine.

    I'm not sure if it's because it was written from a man's point of view, but some parts just didn't interest me. Most of it was enjoyable though. Give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems right up my alley. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely reading this one! I have no phone and no t.v. and people think I am crazy! but to write an old fashioned letter and not be attached to a device is heaven...I find it peaceful, at first it drove me nuts but now? I can remember the days when they weren't here and I revel in it, I just love you Daisy! You find the most amazing books and videos! Your Barnheart is wonderful! sooooo glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing - this book sounds like I'd better put it on my 'to read' list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane-Happy reading!

    Lisa-I think it's great that you can live without those things. Thanks for your kindness. I'm glad God brought us together.

    Farming Mama-Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!