Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life

Made From Scratch by Jenna Woginrich
******

Inspired by her growing admiration for small farmers and her equally strong distaste for out-of-control consumerism, Jenna Woginrich decided to take greater control of her life-what she ate, what she wore, and how she spent her free time.  Learn a few basic country skills, she reasoned, and she would be able to produce at least some of the food and resources she used every day.

This book and Jenna's blog,  Cold Antler Farm, are two of the reasons I found a name for what I've always felt.  She introduced me to the word barnheart, which I found out had been plaguing me for years.  In this her first book, she tackles topics on beekeeping, raising chickens, mountain music and cooking country-style.  Each section is succinctly described, so that anyone who follows her instructions can be successful at these homestead tasks.  This is the type of book that really goes down easy.  In fact, you don't want it to end because you want to hear what else the author has to say. 
I can honestly say it is one of the best that I've read on the subject.  Through this book and her blog, Jenna has taught me so much about why homesteading is the right fit for me.  From the looks of it, I'm not alone!



1 comment:

  1. I don't know why, but I always assumed this book was a cookbook. I'm definitely going to see if my library has this. Thanks for sharing at Non-Fiction Book Love, http://www.schneiderpeeps.com/2013/05/non-fiction-book-love-monthly-link-up_29.html, hope to see you again next month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!