Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tuesday Tidings


The first week in August has us enjoying quite a few blooms.
And a number of  critters.



morning glory vine

morning glory bud
morning glories on light post



The strawberries did pretty well this year.
I wanted to transplant the potted plant to the ground.





Looks like it was just itchin' for more room to roam!



This lil' guy enjoyed most of the day on one of the rain barrels,
even through some torrential downpours!
Hopper's spa!!




My friend KK gave us these cute pickets she no longer needed.



I placed them separately around the back garden to frame particular areas.



We don't have a fence,
and we're hoping the HOA doesn't make a fuss.



The zinnias really like their spot on the southwest side of the yard.


sunflower bud



fading sunflower





During a special event last weekend,
I picked up a couple of passionflower vines.
We kept one and shared one with a friend.




The main reason for acquiring this plant was to host a new type of caterpiller.



This is the gulf fritillary, found mostly in states near the Gulf of Mexico,
Florida included.



These cats are heavy feeders and we're excited to be able to provide for their needs.
We'll be following these cuties on the blog, so stay tuned!







Here's our pitiful harvest of Yukon Gold potatoes.
It was our first attempt at growing white potatoes,
so I don't feel too bad.
We can only do better from here, right?!




Our salt bush trees have been housing these web-like creations.
I haven't found any critters in them yet.




These trees have been here for a few years,
and I never remember seeing these before.
Hmmmm...


A candidate to be transplanted to the blue garden out front.



The beautyberry is ripening for the birds.







We have given away quite a few black swallowtail caterpillars in the past few weeks.



It's so much fun teaching youngsters about the life cycle
of these amazing creatures.
Sometimes their parents are surprised at how much they already know!


giant zinnias


Well, hello there!





Hope you take time to stop and notice 
what Mother Nature has provided you today.

http://www.anoregoncottage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/jtgpfinal.png








14 comments:

  1. That caterpillar is amazing! He looks spiky. :) Sorry to hear about the potatoes. Did you plant them in a container or in the ground? We've had pretty good luck in containers that we continue to add dirt to in order to get the plant to produce more tates. Beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potatoes were direct seeded in the ground. I may try the garbage can method next time. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  2. I can't remember where you live...but any pototo you can grow is a good potato. :)
    We've grown potatoes the last three years and had different results every time.
    I like the morning glories in the hanging pot!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in Central Florida.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Lovely pose by your little frog friend! What a cutie. I always enjoy finding little surprises in the garden (but not a darn snake!)
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most garden snakes are harmless and they keep other unwanted critters out of your garden! Somehow, I don't think I've convinced you. ;0)

      Delete
  4. Love your frog picture! And the new pickets look so nice the way you have them arranged. You sure have a lot going on in your garden--you've inspired me to go out and look around and see what I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful garden photos. Love your little frog. My morning glory haven't started to bloom. I am anxiously waiting. I can't even remember what color I planted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, great pickets! And I love the morning glory bud picture.
    You have so many critters around. Seems like all I find are the naughty ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's all in how you look at it, eh? ;0)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!