Thursday, April 16, 2015

Singer Sewing Score!



A while back I talked about teaching myself to hand stitch.
It's still something I'm working on,
but not as often as I probably should.
Another thing I've been working on 
is saving for a vintage sewing machine.
I made some feed sack totes for our family,
and enjoyed it so much, I thought I could make a few more
and give them to friends or sell them. 
(A machine had been borrowed to complete the job.)

I've been scrimping, saving and selling a few items
to create the sewing machine fund.
Well, it took me a few months,
but I finally had enough to start looking.
The first place I usually look for things is Craig's List,
because so many used items need a home,
and I love the idea of older items being passed down to someone who will use them.

I met a lovely lady who actually refurbishes old sewing machines.
We took a drive to Springhill, FL,
about 2 hours from our home.
It was well worth the trek.


Ms. Linda not only repairs and resells these lovely machines,
she also has quite the collection herself.
Here are some of the beauties she shared with me.
This is a hand-crank model.
Can you imagine having to crank the handle
(where the wheel is on the right),
and sew at the same time?
What a workout!




She favors the treadle machines,
and showed me this model.
Just the table and foot pedal alone are enough to make a gal swoon.


Here's what it looks like without the cover.
So simple, yet elegant.


I can't remember the details about them all,
it was just amazing to see the variety.
They were all in such splendid condition.



This was another beautiful cabinet 
with a fold-out work surface.
Amazing ingenuity!


The cabinets were made so well
because they were used as a piece of furniture
when the machine was tucked away.
I guess back then, folks didn't have a separate room
designated for sewing, so it had to fit in with the decor 
of the main living room or parlor.



Here's what I brought home.
The carrying case is a little worn,
but I think it adds to the charm.



Here she is in all her glory.
There were a few accessories included,
though at this point I can't imagine being able to use them.
All in all, she's in great shape.




My gardening coach, Lynn, used to work for Singer.
He's actually the one who put the bug in my head about buying a vintage machine.
His take on it is that since they are all metal,
they're impossible to break,
(which is quite comforting to me), 
and I'll never need to buy another machine. 
I can get behind that.

He knows everything there is to know about these beauties,
so his advice is valued.
He gave her the once over, and deemed her solid and ready to go to work.
He's gonna show me how to properly maintain her,
(cleaning, oiling, etc.)
so that she'll be running fine for a good, long while.



I started perusing the manual,
but I've got a lot to learn.
It's all good.
Now, on to those feed sacks!
Here's an update.

HomeAcre Hop 

Simple Saturdays Blog Hop



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!