Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thrifty Thursday-It's in the Bag!


This is a craft I've been wanting to do for a while.
It's something I'd seen on another homesteading blog
and once I found this fabulous video,
I knew I had to try it.
Be sure to check it out, as her story is very inspiring.



 I called a couple of local feed stores
to see if they had any empty feed sacks they could give me.
On Saturday, we were given 14 by the nice lady at Summerlin Feed.



 The top and bottom of each sack was cut off.
The top will be used for a handle.


They can be made any size, depending on how much you lop off.
I'm not including detailed steps,
because the aforementioned video did such a great job.

Lynn and Faye allowed me to use their amazing 1947 Singer sewing machine.
As the bags require only a straight stitch, 
this was the perfect tool.
They patiently coached me on how to work it,
as I've never before used a sewing machine.
I'm now searching Craig's List for one of my own.



The bags will come in handy for groceries or
taking books back to the library.
Keeping a few in our vehicles ensures that
we'll always have one when we need it.
They are sturdy and quite durable
and can be easily cleaned using a damp rag.
 I'd like to find an apron pattern and give that a try.
 Lampshades...tablecloths...awnings...
Um, I think this could be addicting.

It feels so good to take something that was going to be thrown out,
and make something useful out of it.
Here are some other ideas for using feed sacks.

What have you repurposed lately?
Here's an update on this story.