Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 47


Maple Hill Hop

Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop
This is a hop for folks who love the outdoors.
Feel free to post about anything that's going on
OUTSIDE
in your neck of the woods.
(Please share only outdoor posts.)



With the summer fading, it was time to plan the fall garden.
The raised bed has been idle for too long.





The list of crops was made and it was determined
what would be directly sowed, planted with homemade seed tape, or transplanted from seedlings.


This was the first time that I've sketched out
what I wanted the garden to look like.
It felt good to consider the aesthetic look of the veggie garden.




Then I found this cool online garden planner at
Gardener's Supply.
I transferred my basic plan to the online template
and voila!
Did I mention that it's free?
Whoo-hoo!



The chosen seeds were transferred to a small box
to take with me out into the garden.
We'll be growing carrots, beets, four types of lettuce, sugar snap peas, 
eggplant, green beans, parsley, thyme and dill.



Summers here are very trying for this gardener,
as it is our least productive growing season.
 Armed with the necessary tools,
it felt so good to finally be putting something in the dirt again.




A little rearranging was in order
to bring the plan to life.
The first step was to pull any weeds
and then rake the area lightly to aerate the soil.



The trellis for the peas was relocated 
to the western side of the bed.




Compost was added to the entire planting area.


In this area, the beets will act as a border.
Two rows were planted,
with successive rows to be planted every few weeks.



The eggplant on the other side of the trellis was then moved



into its new spot near the other eggplant.
These two have been struggling through the summer,
but I'm hoping the compost and cooler temps will help them do well.



A bit more thyme was planted in the center of this raised bed.
The morning glory will be kept in place
to soften the edges.
Lettuce seedlings will be started this week,
as well as creating homemade seed tape for the tiny carrot seeds.
(I'll post that process next week.)
As transplants are added to the bed,
I will add a bit more compost to the hole.
The folks over at Old World Gardens suggested that,
and it's the first time I'm giving it a go.


Fall is an exciting time here in Central Florida.
It's another chance to grow some great food 
and with all I've learned at Farm School in the past year and a half, 
I'm feeling more confident that we will be harvesting lots of goodies in the next few months.

Let's HOP!





10 comments:

  1. Happy Gardening, Daisy!
    I always chuckle at how opposite our times are. I am just at the point of pulling everything up, hauling "Doo", and putting my beds to sleep for the long (9 months!!) time of rest. And I'm actually TIRED of gardening at this point. But yet, excited for you! And I know you'll be sharing your progress at a time that I'm deep in snow, so it's all good.
    Hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a loooooong rest period. I guess gardening is fast and furious up there, huh? You certainly have a lot to show for it. ;0)

      Delete
  2. I was going to say the same as Sue - it's amazing the different climates. :) I would have to say that is one of the only things I didn't like about living in Hawaii - that we didn't have defined 4 seasons. Your garden looks like it will be beautiful!! Can't wait to watch it grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am looking forward to a more seasonal way of life when we move, but it sure is nice being able to grow food most of the year down here. ;0D

      Delete


  3. Daisy, yup gardening is in the final stages of production here in Nebraska as well. We still have about another month before frost will kill it all but the peak production time is over and now we just count the days as fall cleanup draws near. The production for the garden was way down this year but still it was a worth while effort to work and toil in the dirt. It's a time when evaluation of the year happens and changes for next are formulated. The garden year in Nebraska actually starts in February under the grow lights. All the cool weather crops are started then. By the time those are set out in the garden, the warm weather seeds go under the grow lights. I only get about a three month break for rest and planning. I wouldn't have it any other way.

    Have a great day planning and planting the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like summer just started, doesn't it? Time flies...

      Delete
  4. oh gosh, I am so ready for fall. It's supposed to be over 100 here today but only in the upper 80's by Saturday. I can't wait to get ou in the garden this weekend. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're ready for some cooler weather ourselves. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. My gardens are definitely winding down and the leaves on the trees are starting to turn. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be absolutely beautiful. I miss the fall changes. So glad you could stop by!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!