Friday, September 5, 2014

"The Zero-Waste Lifestyle" Book Review





Amy Korst

"In The Zero-Waste Lifestyle, Amy Korst shows you how to lead a healthier, happier, 
and more sustainable life by generating less garbage.  
 Drawing from lessons she learned during a yearlong experiment in zero-waste living, 
Amy outlines hundreds of easy ideas-from the simple to the radical-for consuming 
and throwing away less, with low-impact tips on the best ways to:

*Buy eggs from a local farm instead of the grocery store
*Start a worm bin for composting
*Grow your own loofah sponges and mix up eco-friendly cleaning solutions
*Purchase gently used items and donate them when you're finished
*Shop the bulk aisle and keep reusable bags in your car
*Bring your own containers for take-out or restaurant leftovers

By eliminating unnecessary items in every aspect of your life, 
these meaningful and achievable strategies will help you save time and money, 
support local businesses, decrease litter, reduce your toxic exposure, eat well, 
become more self-sufficient, and preserve the planet for future generations."


This book was a real eye-opener.  I didn't realize 
there were folks who were trying to live trash-free.  
It's a noble pursuit, for sure.  Although we recycle and pay attention 
to the purchases we make, this book helped me pay more attention 
to the packaging that comes into our home. 
 I also find myself questioning whether or not something 
really needs to be thrown in the trash, rather than composted or recycled.

One point that the author made which I hadn't thought of before, 
was that anything that is wet or moist can usually be composted.  
This not only keeps trash to a minimum, 
but the need for garbage can liners becomes obsolete.  
Think of the savings in not having to purchase garbage bags 
and the amount of plastic you wouldn't be buying.  
It all adds up.

 One aspect that in which we already participate is in making purchases locally, 
so that the travel time and supplies are kept to a minimum.  
The impact on the environment is lessened 
when you can carry home your purchase in your own bags or boxes.  
No waste!  
(See the repurposed bags I recently made here.)  

The book also nurtures the idea that supporting the local community is better for everyone.
One thing I plan on doing since reading this book is to contact companies of items I currently purchase 
to inquire about the packaging they use.  Is it recyclable?  Could the packaging be downsized?  
It doesn't take much time to inform the companies 
that this is something worthwhile to consumers of their products.

The author and contributors are to be commended for their efforts in creating less waste 
and being so conscientious about the environment.  
By reading this book, I do think that I can reduce my usage of some items 
and get a compost pile started to help ease the burden of waste on our planet.  
If everyone who read this book just made one change, it would benefit us all.


barnhopimage








6 comments:

  1. I don't think I could ever reduce to ZERO trash, but hubby and I are much much lower than anyone in our neighborhood. We put out one 13 gallon bag every two weeks....sometimes three weeks in between depending on whether we buy something or not. It helps not buying any processed foods (something I'm sure you know about--you're very in to "home-cooking" just as I am. No tv dinners/etc here. Some folks around here have the big 55 gallon cans over flowing with bags laid out next to them as well. I can't imagine!! And if you're throwing it out--it means you BOUGHT it.....so there is a lot of money being wasted. Why do I always end up writing a novel???????? You are far too interesting, dear Daisy!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;0D I think it's because we are kindred spirits. I agree that zero waste is quite a lofty goal. Keep up the good work, you're doing fine!

      Delete
  2. Daisy, things have drastically changed over the last 50 years. I started life on a small farm with cows to milk so no waste from cartons or bottles. Even when we moved to the city milk was in glass returnable bottles. Soda pop again was in glass returnable bottles. Corporations of today don't want to be bothered with returnable any thing. Our papers and cardboard were burned in the burn barrel and the ashes used to enhance the flower and vegetable gardens. In fact I can remember making money from selling newspaper and slick magazines to a recycler by the pound for extra money above my allowance. It wasn't much but it was enough for a young boy growing up. In the country, we threw what couldn't be burned in a ditch and covered it with dirt and a deterrent against erosion. In the city, our trash can was seldom more than half full each week. Now with the advent of Styrofoam throw away containers, burning is a toxic air pollution option. I'm not sure about what Styrofoam does in a landfill.

    Another big item that ends up in the landfills that didn't 50 years ago is disposable diapers. No one that I know today uses any thing other than disposable diapers on their babies. I can't imagine how many tons of used disposable diapers get hauled to the landfills each day.

    Well, enough about all that. I have great reuse/repurpose day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. There was much less waste back in the day. I think people were more conscientious about what they brought into their homes as well. Once again, old school is better.

      Delete
  3. I have this book as well and it serves enormous inspiration!! I hadn't really given much thought to the actual amount of trash but once you start paying attention to packaging it's quite the eye opener. Once again great minds..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting a fresh perspective on things that are important to me!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!