Friday, May 3, 2013

The Petunia Project


As part of the blue garden transition,
these sweet native petunias are being used to line 
the driveway and front walk.



They pop up all over, (but not in a bad way),
so it's just a matter of digging them out
and finding them a new home nearby.





They are the perfect tinge of blue.
They enjoy partial or full shade, but will tolerate some sun.



They are extremely drought-tolerant,
and have been enjoying our almost summer-like heat.



Natives are the way to go
if you want to save time, resources and money in the garden.



This particular periwinkle blue
is soothing and quite subtle.
They pair well with another native,

blue-eyed grass



A few were even added to the pots on the front porch,



as well as hanging baskets.



The blooms keep on comin' almost all year 'round.
To learn more about this beautiful native,
read this.

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet bloom. Do they bloom a long time? I am using a lot more natives---with only the objection that they often don't bloom very long.
    But tough as nails and not at all fussy--what a winning combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They bloom three seasons of the year here. They don't care much for the cold.
      Thanks for visiting us today! ;0)

      Delete
  2. They are so pretty! I love petunias :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty plant! I wish those would grow in my area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you have some natives that would fill the bill!

      Delete
  4. We had some of those petunias show up last year. I left them of course. I'm glad for the info on them. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome. Enjoy your petunias!

      Delete
  5. Petunias make me smile. :) I absolutely adore blue and purple flowers. I've got some sweet little things that pop up here and there in the shaded areas of our property that I love to sit and admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sweet, aren't they? I'm a blue and purple lover too. Enjoy your beautiful home.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!