Friday, December 31, 2010

Homemade Pot Pie

The ultimate comfort food.

I haven't made pot pie in years. 
I guess because of the dietary differences 
in our family,
it sometimes becomes quite tedious 
to adequately satisfy the individual requirements. 
The boys both eat poultry, I don't.  
My lil' guy can't have dairy or wheat and has many sensitivities to be wary of,
and I have a few things I avoid as well. 
Makes for lots of creativity in the kitchen! 
I usually end up making 3 versions of the same thing.  That way, no one feels deprived.  
It just takes a bit of planning and patience.

I got the idea for these personal pot pies from here:  http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-jar.html.

I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to try them in the jelly jars, so I used some Corningware crocks we have.  This was another case of using what I had in the fridge. 
We had some leftover carrots that had been slow-cooked in the crockpot with a chicken and some leftover chicken too.  The boys got chicken pot pies, and I made myself a vegetarian version.  In went the leftover carrots and chicken (for the boys), sauteed onion, peas and white potatoes.  I made a roux in the pan by adding some flour (gluten-free for the boys), browning it and then adding homemade chicken stock
(veggie stock for me).

The pie crust was so easy! 
I got the recipe from the above website. 
That one's a keeper!  
The crust was so flaky and delicious! 
I could've eaten just that! 
For my gluten-free guy,
I used the new Gluten-Free Bisquick 
to make a quick crust. 
Can you tell which is which in the picture above? 

They all got baked in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes (everything was already cooked, so it's just to brown the crust) and you are on your way 
to a lil' piece of heaven. 
It was the perfect meal for a dreadfully dreary day. 
You can bet your boots I'll be adding this to my once-a-month menu. 
Simple pleasures...

4 comments:

  1. oh my that looks delicious! I love the idea of doing individual ones also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems we always go for the comfort foods when the weather cools down, doesn't it? Looks really yummy. I totally sympathize with your food disparities. I have become obsessed with avoid my son's and my allergies. Home cooking is so much safer for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I don't know why, but I have an unshakable yearning to cook and bake when it gets cold out. Must be my pioneering instincts coming into play!

    I don't miss eating out at all...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!