Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Homemade Red Pepper Flakes



This summer we grew jalapeno peppers
from starts we bought from friends at the farmers' market.
As we don't use many peppers in our food,
I knew that these were destined for something else.
After reading how to easily make red pepper flakes
on the Old World Gardens blog, 
I decided to give it a go.


The peppers were picked, washed
and the ends were trimmed.


 They were then placed (as is) on a cookie sheet 
lined with parchment paper.
I've read that it's important to line the surface
so that the heat doesn't get imbedded into the pan.
I use parchment for most of my oven-based cooking,
so we always have it around.
The peppers were left in the oven most of the day
(at least 7 hours) at 170 degrees.
This dries them out slowly.
If you have a dehydrator, that would work too.


 The food processor does a great job of pulverizing the peppers.


The jar is kept right next to the stove top.
One of my favorite dishes in which to use these 
is my mom's homemade gravy (tomato sauce).
It was one of the first recipes I shared here on the blog.
You can find that recipe here.
I'm so glad I tried this 
and I will be sure to grow more peppers next summer
so that I can make enough to share!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!