Friday, September 16, 2011

Like a Good Mystery?

Being a novice gardener, there's a lot I don't know.
Here are a few specimens I've yet to identify.

 


This has popped up sporadically in the backyard.



It has these lantern-like seed pods.



Here's a dried seed pod.



This grows so profusely it must be a weed.



It's gotten to be about 3 feet tall
and has delicate blue fuzzy flowers.


It volunteers all over the garden.
Hey, if it's easy, it stays!



This cropped up in the butterfly bed.
No clue as to what it might be.



The leaves are oh-so wispy.
Haven't seen this one flower yet.




This vine has taken up residence
on one of our trellises.



No blooms that I've noticed yet,
but the leaves are intriguing by themselves.



Yoo-hoo!
What is that peekin' around the side of the rain barrel?
Another volunteer.
Looks like this one might be looking for a bit more sun.

As I don't have the time nor inclination
to research these lovelies,
I hope for someone to help me with their identification.
There's an event coming up
at the extension center next month
and I know I can count on someone there to know their stuff.

I'll post an update if I get any answers!
Have a great weekend, y'all!



6 comments:

  1. Looks like the first one could be a gooseberry plant - lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first one may be a ground cherry. You can make jam from them or eat them raw. But double check with your extension office just to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy, I think you have an invasive that is getting around to all of our yards. Old World Climbing Fern. The US ag dept is introducing a bug that eats it. http://goo.gl/70ecQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. The middle one looks like a very young cosmos--google cosmos seedling under images.

    The top one-tomatillo? Google images again. Or ground cherry.

    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I'm not much help when it comes to plant identification...looks like the rest of your readers know their stuff though! Love the one with the seed pods! And the wispy one reminds me a little of dill--both so pretty. Good luck finding out! Will you share with us what they are so us newbies can learn? Have a great day, Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dani-Gooseberry? Oh my! It sounds like something out of a fairy tale!

    Jane-Thanks. I will.

    Rick-Thanks, I think! I'll look into it.

    Sue-I don't think it's cosmos 'cause I have lots of that growing and I actually know it by sight. Two votes for ground cherry. Thanks for your input!

    Kat-I'll do an update once I find out. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!