Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Natural Hair Remover

I have a confession to make. 
(Insert Dragnet music here...)
 

I have been using disposable razors for years. 
I had found a brand that I liked long ago,
and stuck with it.  I didn't feel good about it.
I've been trying to figure out how to
rid myself of this bad habit.
Thanks to Kendra over at New Life on a Homestead, I can!
The bonus is that I used up the white sugar 
 that I've given up
for my New Year's Resolution!

I made myself some of this sugar wax and
I am happy to say that it is working just fine, thank you.
I know what you may be thinking.  "Won't it hurt?"
It feels like ripping off a band-aid.  
And the satisfaction
I get from no longer looking like a Yeti is priceless.


You'll need:
1.  2 cups sugar
         2.  1/4 c. lemon juice
3.  1/4 c. water






Pour ingredients into a medium saucepan, 
bring to the boil
and simmer  
until the mixture gets to
250 degrees (10-18 minutes).
(Use a candy or bread thermometer.)



The solution should become a dark amber color. 

The first time I made it, 
I didn't cook it long enough 
and it was very sticky.  
I ended up putting it back on the stove 
and cooking it for another 10 minutes or so.
Stir it occasionally, because you don't want it to burn.

Once it's cooked, pour it into a glass container and let it cool.
The final product looks like this.



This recipe made enough for about 10-12 applications.
I apply the wax and put thin cloth strips over the area.
(Hubby had brought home some never-used
handi-wipe-type rags
that were destined for the garbage.)

It's important to put the wax on
with the direction the hair is growing.
When you pull the strip off, go the opposite way. 
You'll see all those little suckers on the strip
and feel smooth as a baby's bottom.



After finishing the treatment, just shower,
(the wax comes off with just water),
 and remember to moisturize!
I have coarse hair, so if it could work for me,  
I'm sure it would be great
for someone with fine hair.  
Because the hair does not grow
back as fast or as much, 
eventually I may not need to do it anymore.
What a gift to myself! 
More time for gardening, reading, hiking...



*Update-I absolutely love using this stuff! 
I just reheat it for about 30 seconds before using.  
I even decided to reuse the cloth strips
after washing them each time,
so this makes it even thriftier! 
No more razors for me!*

SchneiderPeeps - Simple Lives Thursdays Link Up

Blog Hop Zero waste plastic free less waste sustainable


6 comments:

  1. I am a wuss. I've never waxed in my life. I might have to try this though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH Daisy!! I love this, can't wait to try it! Love natural anything! I would rather have a little bit of wax burn than razor burn anyday! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. tami-It really doesn't hurt. I hope you'll give it a go!

    Lisa-There's no wax burn. It leaves your skin soft and smooth.

    Jane-Yeah, I've learned so much in the past few months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, gosh, I'm going to try this. Can you image all the razors that will be kept out of landfills? Thanks for sharing with Simple Lives Thursday! Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!