Monday, February 7, 2011

Chocolate Mocha Cake

My favorite birthday cake flavor is mocha.  
Sometimes it's not easy to find a mocha cake.  
I adapted this recipe this week to include 
a bit of coffee.  
I also substituted the white sugar in it with sucanat.  
Guess I'll be making my own birthday cake 
from now on! 
This is seriously the best chocolate cake I've ever had. 
It's rich, dense and so chocolate-y, but not too sweet. 
After rereading the ingredient list, 
I realized it's vegan too,
in case you want to share it with a friend 
on a restricted diet due to allergies or personal choice.



Moist Chocolate Cake
3 C unbleached flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
6 T cocoa powder (I use dark)
2 C sucanat (or sugar)
3/4 C light olive oil
2 C cold water
1 T vanilla
1/4 C coffee (for mocha)
1 T apple cider vinegar






Step 1
Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.  
Stir with a whisk to aerate.



Step 2
Add water, oil, vanilla and coffee (for mocha) to bowl.
Stir well.  Add vinegar last and gently mix.



Step 3
Pour batter into lightly greased 9 X 13 X 2" pan.
(You can probably use a bundt pan as well.)
Bake 30-40 minutes.  
Let cool for at least an hour before slicing 
(if you can wait).
Serves 10-20 chocolate lovers.

*This cake gets better the longer it sits. 
It's sweet enough for us, so we don't ice it.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Is it your birthday, Daisy? Well, *Happy Birthday* if it is! Amazing that this is made without eggs or milk or butter! We do have the food allergies and sensitivities in this house. My poor son! It is impossible for him to gain weight, as it seems the "beefier" foods all contain his allergens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not my birthday. I don't need any excuse to make a chocolate cake! ;0)
    If you email me, I can provide you with a list of great allergy-free cookbooks I've read. My son is wheat, dairy, egg, soy, and a lot of other-frees, so I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daisy...I thought it was your birthday, too. But, we certainly don't need a birthday to eat cake...do we? Yours sounds yummy and looks good, too. We are fortunate not to have any of those nasty allergies, but I wonder if a vegan recipe is healthier than one made with dairy products. Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Looks delicious, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan-How blessed you are not to have to deal with allergies! I imagine it's probably healthier, as it has no cholesterol and is low in fat and has no sugar added (if you use the sucanat).

    Homesteading Quest-I hope you'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I had to laugh when I read "this cake gets better the longer it sits", I have a feeling it won't be sitting very long at our house before it is eaten. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather-Yeah, I know what you mean! ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!