Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Key is Never Just a Key









I realized the other day that in the past few weeks
I've been given keys. 
One key was for a new job I started and the other
was given to me by the park ranger
at Lake Kissimmee where I volunteered. 
Now, if you're most people, you think they're just keys. 
Me, I don't work that way. 


I got to thinking that it must mean more
(Some folks have said that I think too much.) 
These keys were both given to me
when I started something new. 
Keys open doors, and these new experiences may very well
open up new possibilities for me
 in my homesteading journey. 
 It's something to think about (at least, if you're me...)

Along the same lines,
I wanted to share something that happened this week. 
It was about 5ish and hubby was in the living room
watching tv before getting ready for work. 
I was awake, but still in bed.  I heard a change of pressure
in the house.  Hard to describe. 
Anyway, I came out to the living room and I noticed
hubby was standing out front. 
He said someone had tried to walk into our house. 
When the door wouldn't budge,
the person peered into the glass on the door. 
They must have seen hubby, and took off. 

Of course, we called 911 right away and they were here
in just minutes. 
We're okay and nothing was damaged,
but I thought I would share
an idea one of the deputies recommended to us. 
He said to replace the 1 1/2-inch screws in your strikeplate
with 3-inch screws for added security. 
It provides more strength to the door. 
Needless to say, I've had our resident handyman
working on that. 
I know this is off-topic,
but I thought it was important enough to share. 
If it keeps one person safe, it's all good.
Be safe out there.

6 comments:

  1. Holy Cow that is scary! Thank goodness your Husband was right there. Hopefully it was someone who was to drunk to know where he was, and not someone intending harm. Boy I leave my door unlocked way to much. After this I am going to keep it locked all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daisy....what a scary situation. We had someone try that at 3 am shortly after we moved into the house. It definitely left me with an uneasy feeling for awhile. Even now, I still think of it sometimes. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have my husband check ours this weekend.

    Keys are very symbolic, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your new key is representative of a new door opening in your life. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, that's scary, Daisy! You guys stay safe! Sounds like you're lucky that hubby was awake and sitting there watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane-Yeah, I'm glad you will be keeping your door locked now. You just never know...

    Susan-The thing is, I really didn't feel scared. I just feel as though it was more of a wake-up call to be more vigilant in general.

    Floridagirl-Yeah! The person is lucky that it wasn't me. I would've gone after him with my cast iron skillet! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Good Lord Daisy! I am so thankful your hubby was home! It amazes me how bold people are and am so glad you are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lisa. We've both had some strange things going on, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!