Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Maple Hill Hop 70



Maple Hill Hop


Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop.
This is a hop for folks who love the outdoors.
Feel free to post about anything that's going on
OUTSIDE
in your neck of the woods,
no matter the season.
(Please share only outdoor posts.)
*Please link back to Maple Hill 101.*




Eggplant is a fall crop here,
but we're still growing it heading into spring.



We've got two varieties growing in the garden.
This is the Epic variety, also known as Dusky, from the Jung Seed Company.
My farmer friend Lynn introduced these to me,
and I haven't looked back since.






With around a 60-day maturity rate,
these beauties will produce multiple fruit on one plant.
Once you see these sweet flowers show up,
you know you're soon in store for garden bounty.



This heirloom variety, Listada De Gandia, takes a bit longer to mature,
and produces much smaller fruit.
These are thinner-skinned, so peeling isn't necessary.





The bright purple-speckled skin is too pretty not to keep!




Not sure what happened to this one, but who cares, as long as it tastes good!




I never tire of reading about different varieties of veggies.
Seed catalogues are a source of fascination and rapture.
The more I learn, the more I feel the pull toward growing heirlooms.
It just seems like the right thing to do.
A third variety of eggplant will be added to the mix this weekend.
We'll give an update on that before long.



Once I get some of these goodies harvested,
you can be sure I'll be whipping up some of 
Mimi's ratatouille.
I know she'd approved.


What's going (growing) on outside where you are?
HOP ON!