Friday, October 31, 2014

Homemade Cereal


This recipe was garnered from a book I recently read (and reviewed),
Rural Renassaince.
They call it granola, I call it cereal.
All I know is that I will never buy cereal again.
It's so easy to make and tastes delicious!
Most store-bought cereals (even the healthier versions)
are too sweet for me.
This one contains absolutely ZERO sugar,
and the touch of honey makes it just sweet enough.
The ingredients are merely suggestions,
as any combination of your favorite nuts, seeds or dried fruit would fill the bill quite nicely.
So get creative and you'll be enjoying this yummy concoction too!




Inn Serendipity Granola
(Rural Renaissance)

6 C old-fashioned oats
1 C nuts, chopped
1/2 C coconut
1/2 C sesame seeds
2/3 C oil (coconut)
1/2 C honey
2 T water
1 1/2 t vanilla

In bowl, combine dry ingredients.  
In a saucepan over medium heat, add wet ingredients except for vanilla.  
Do not boil.  
Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  
Remove warmed liquids and stir in vanilla.  
Pour over oat mixture and stir to coat.  
Transfer onto sheet pans lined with parchment.  
Spread evenly and baked 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
Makes 6 C



I couldn't find unsweetened coconut, so I omitted it, but used coconut oil to get the same flavor.
We didn't have sesame seeds, so we substituted sunflower seeds and threw in some flax seeds as well.
Wouldn't toasted pumpkin seeds from your jack-o-lantern be divine!
Add whatever you like and savor the satisfaction of 
another homemade goody.
Enjoy!


I love me some pecans!




Grab a Button

SchneiderPeeps - Simple Lives Thursdays Link Up

barnhopimage




Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop

Simple Saturdays Blog Hop

Logo-Logo_25



11 comments:

  1. Ah-just the thing to make on a COLD drippy day. Love having the oven on and something good in it.
    We're supposed to have our first snow today.
    Jealous, aren't you?--- LOL! Well, I enjoy it at least.
    Hope you have a terrific weekend, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be made gluten-free, if you use gf oatmeal. Enjoy your snow!

      Delete


  2. Daisy, sounds delicious. I seldom eat actual breakfast food. My breakfast isn't until about 10am which is brunch time and more lunch time. I tend to lean more toward lunch items but sometimes I will eat breakfast for the afternoon meal at about 3pm. I know I'm really odd but hey I'm a bachelor and can eat what I want when I want. :-)

    Have a great homemade cereal day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're odd, you just know what you like and have the freedom to enjoy it! ;0)

      Delete
  3. This sounds great and cheaper than the gluten free cereal I've been buying. Pinned! Thanks.
    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly filling and I'll bet it is cheaper than buying the gf store brand.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's delicious and good for you. Winning combination!

      Delete
  5. This sounds great to me, can not wait to try it. I will be featuring this post tomorrow on my blog at Tuesdays with a Twist link party. Stop by and say hello... :-) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for featuring Maple Hill!

      Delete
  6. This looks yummy...I have been looking for a new granola recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!