Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 54



Maple Hill Hop

Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop.
This is a hop for folks who love the outdoors.
Feel free to post about anything that's going on
OUTSIDE
in your neck of the woods.
(Please share only outdoor posts.)


On Saturday I participated in the yearly festival known as 
Pioneer Days, in Lake Wales.
My friends, Faye & Lynn, had a booth there selling
not only pesticide-free produce,
but many exotic and unusual plants.
We also enjoyed the festivities last year.


Rising at 4 a.m., 
we were on our way to being ready for the crowd by sunrise.




It's kind of fun being up that early
when nothing is stirring and the world is stock still.
Soon, the festival would come to life.




With over 100 vendors, 
there was sure to be something for everyone.




The Pioneer Village displayed a historical encampment, 
complete with a fire pit cooking beef stew for lunch.




Craftspeople exhibited their skills at handmade offerings.
This nice lady and I had a long conversation about knitting,
as I have had a tough time of mastering this valuable art.
She introduced me to the option of continental knitting.
I plan to check it out!



So many talented artists.



These hand-turned spoons and kitchen utensils were gorgeous!




While taking a break, 
I hopped on the tractor ride through town.
The homes in Lake Wales are exceptionally quaint.




Doesn't it just make you want to walk right up to the front door,
knock, and sit a spell on the porch with the owners?











Throughout this small town are hand painted murals 
decorating the downtown buildings.



Another favorite part of this event is the vintage parade.




Our family appreciates John Deere tractors,
as Big K hails from its home town.




We like pretty much any ole tractor.




It's always a great time to celebrate the humble beginnings of a neighboring town.
We were happy to be a part of it.
What outdoor festivals have you been to lately?

HOP ON!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun day---and so nice to see blue skies! We're stuck in a whole lotta cloudy gloom. I don't mind--it's good cooking and baking weather. Have a wonderful week, Daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like great weather to snuggle up with a good book and a hot cup of joe! Hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. I love that you and your friend had a booth selling produce and plants. I keep dreaming of doing something like that but every year there seems to be some excuse or other. I have been propagating and digging up volunteers and transplanting them to pots. I usually end up giving away the plants to friends and schools that need plants but someday I'll save up enough plants to do what you guys did ... or open my own nursery. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the best on your endeavors! Sounds like you have a good plan. ;0D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!