Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Maple Hill Hop 13


Maple Hill Hop

Welcome back to 
The Maple Hill Hop
where we share what's happening outside our doors.



This African Iris just outside our living room window 
has been showering us with a lovely display of white blooms.


The native red salvia is a bright pop of color,
and the pollinators love it!


Surprisingly, this monarch chrysallis is hanging out outside the patio,
waiting to transform into a beautiful butterfly.


The passion flower vine keeps blooming right through changes in temperatures.


It is the host plant for the gulf fritillary caterpillar,
although none have been spotted lately.


This is a native butterfly vine.
It doesn't attract butterflies as far as I know.


Can you guess how it gets its name?


A smattering of seeds from the bird feeder is creating a new patch of seedlings.


This also popped up underneath the feeder.
I left it in hopes that the birds may be able to enjoy it through winter.

African Iris bud



In the veggie garden, I haven't quite given up on the beets.
They are slow to grow, but after fertilizing recently,
they seem to be bouncing back.
We also have eggplant, snap peas, lettuce and newly reseeded green beans growing.


Branches from our Christmas tree are left for birds and other critters to use for shelter.


We recently took up the mulch that was lining the pathway to the backyard.
Looks like we'll need to go and buy some sod to fill in the spaces between the stones.

sweet potato blooms

With colder weather ahead this week,
I'm glad we got a chance to enjoy some color in the garden.
What's going on outside in your neck of the woods?





8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Besides its beauty, it is Florida-friendly, which means it asks for very little.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks so lovely, Daisy. I am amazed by the monarch butterfly chrysalis.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty photos! I enjoy taking a break from our brown landscape when I see all the pretty colors still alive in your neck of the woods :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we could bring you a bit of spring color!

      Delete
  4. Oh my Daisy, everything is just beautiful. I love Monarchs, they migrate through my back yard in September. I will see up to 30 at a time~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!