Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Year, New Balance


The onset of this year had me focusing on my health.
Having dealt with several illnesses last year,
I'm attempting to unravel the mystery of what's been going on in my system.

The major issue was that the skin on my fingers began itching, swelling, and literally peeling .
The inflammation was so bad that it was difficult to do much of anything with my hands.
It was painful and fairly debilitating.
I won't even show you the worst pictures, but here's what they looked like a few months back.




My initial thought was that it was from the antibacterial liquid I would sometimes use in the van,
when soap and water wasn't available.  But it was only used a few times a month, if that.
Then I thought maybe it was some developed allergy to something I was eating.
We eat real, scratch food and nothing with preservatives, dyes or artificial anything,
so it was a stretch to think food was a factor, but I wasn't sure what else it could be.
Chemicals were ruled out immediately, because I make my own cleaning products
out of everyday items like baking soda, vinegar and lemon juice.
Our garden is organic, so nothing to worry about there. 
It became clear to me that the problem was systemic
and it would take some digging to figure it all out.





Now, this part of our conversation is a little personal,
but if it'll help someone out there feel better, I'm all for sharing.
I thought about my general health in the past few years and it has been pretty good.
I eat well, exercise daily, rest when I need to and have an optimistic attitude about life.
One thing that did change in the last year was my potty time.
I used to be as regular as the clock.
Every day, about 1/2 hour after rising, I'd be doing my business,
and I mean, I was in and outta there in 20 seconds flat.
Then I realized, over the last year that changed.
Sometimes I'd go a whole day or two without going.
Lest you think this is too much information, 
let me assure you that it's key to the story.




When I thought back, I'd been prescribed antibiotics several times over the last year,
both for my skin issue and for two bouts of sinusitis.
It was all making sense to me now.
I know from personal experience how antibiotics can screw up your immune system.
My Lil' Guy is the perfect example.
One reason for his autism, is the overuse of antibiotics when he was younger.
His gut never recovered from the barrage of meds that killed off all the good guys.
We're still working on correcting the balance.  It's an ongoing battle.

"Antibiotics are particularly harmful to the gut flora. Recent studies have shown that antibiotic use causes a profound and rapid loss of diversity and a shift in the composition of the gut flora. This diversity is not recovered after antibiotic use without intervention."
source

Now, I rarely have stomach problems, as long as I stay on the straight and narrow with my diet.  
But these new symptoms really threw me because they pretty much stopped me cold.
I guess God knew that it had to change my life for me to pay attention.
My swollen fingers interfered with my gardening, so I finally sat up and took notice.  
No one messes with my garden time!
But, here's the thing-

"You don’t have to have gut symptoms to have a leaky gut. Leaky gut can manifest as skin problems like eczema or psoriasis, heart failure, autoimmune conditions affecting the thyroid (Hashimoto’s) or joints (rheumatoid arthritis), mental illness, autism spectrum disorder, depression and more."
source

Because I've lived this for 8 years with my son,
I know it to be true.
If you ask most parents with kids on the spectrum,
they'll tell you the same thing.

Little did I know that learning all I have about the gut-brain connection would help me down the road.
And in helping myself, I can help others.
Here's a fabulous article on the subject.



 
I'm starting my third week off flour, sugar and chocolate.
It hasn't been easy.  I really miss semolina pasta.
And between you and me, I think I'll be reintroducing dark chocolate 
into my diet in another week or so.

I used the gut healing broth for 2 weeks
and am still eating very cleanly.
I began taking a probiotic a week ago, 
as well as caprylic acid
to aid in the healing of my gut flora.
I still have things I want to try to make things better.
But, look at my fingers now.





I'm making progress.
It hasn't been easy giving up these foods, even though it's a temporary measure.  
I've never had to diet before and my skirt is off to those who have to limit foods to maintain their weight.
I wasn't used to being hungry.
It was a challenge, and I'm pretty jazzed that I've been able to do it this long.
It also helped me realize just how addicted I am to carbs.
So, even if my hands remain healthy when I reintroduce some of my favorite foods 
(read pasta, bread, sweets),
I will be sure to be vigilant in the amount of these foods I allow myself 
and remember to add extra fiber to my diet whenever I can.
The balance is vital to my overall health.


This morning I have my annual checkup.
I'll be asking for particular tests to see if my hunches are right.
I'll let you know how it goes.


For more on leaky gut, read this
The journey began here.

8 comments:

  1. Your fingers look great now! I applaud you for taking your health into your own hands and researching to find out what was causing your skin irritation. I have heard a little about how the gut affects your overall health, and I am interested in learning more about it. I will definitely check out those links.

    Last year around the holidays I ate way more sugar and processed food than I normally do. Around that time, I also noticed I was getting these red, flaky patches on my hands and wrists that would not go away. I never went to the dr for it, but it looked a lot like eczema. I never had problems with it before in my life, so I was kind of concerned. Well, after the start of the new year I cut out all white sugar, white flour, and processed food and began to drink green juice each morning and now my skin is clear! It's just been a little over two weeks but my dry red patches are completely gone. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you were beginning to suffer the effects of the sugar. So glad you were paying attention and caught it before it got too bad. Congratulations on making those healthy changes!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Daisy - it's really amazing that you've been able to not only stop and figure out what's going on but to then be so vigilant about ensuring you do the right thing. Good for you! I'm going to go back and read the links but I just had to finish your post first. It's just amazing how things going wrong inside appear outside, isn't it? I hope things are going to get back on track for you very soon. {LOVE the lego photo - too cute!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My health is ultimately my responsibility, so I do what I can to figure these things out. I'd love to visit a naturopathic physician, but it's not covered by insurance. Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  3. I have IBS as well as eczema and constant sinus infections that I have dealt with since I was a kid. I spent the last 3 or 4 years on and off antibiotics, with sinus infections or flare-ups last 2 or 3 months at a time. I have massive issues with chemicals (part in parcel the cause behind making more of my daily use products) I am starting with an internal care doctor soon who is very pro-homeopathic in his treatments. This will certainly be a question I ask him about. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely bring up the antibiotic use. It factors into so many symptoms when your gut is out of whack. An Organic Acid Test can tell you if you have too much yeast in your system, and will give you a host of other data. You are blessed to have a doctor who is so open minded. I hope you'll keep me posted!

      Delete
  4. I would encourage anyone who has any health concerns at all, to stay off wheat. Glad to see your hands are doing so much better now. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, especially if you live in North America. I've heard that folks from here who visit Europe on vacation don't have issues with eating wheat products. Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!