Thursday, January 23, 2014

How To Make Ghee




Ghee is also known as clarified butter.
It's used as a staple in Indian cuisine.
Why should one use ghee?
Here are a few reasons:


1. Because of the way it is made, ghee is free of casein and other milk solids. 
For those who can't tolerate butter or are following a casein-free diet, it's the perfect solution. 
It is a great source of healthy fat to incorporate into your diet.  

2. Ghee is great for cooking because it is stable at high temperatures. 

3. Ghee stimulates the production of stomach acid, increases the absorption of other nutrients, 
and is very supportive for acid reflux, ulcers, and other digestive complaints. 
It's part of the process of healing the gut.

4. In ayurvedic practices, ghee has been said to be beneficial for balancing lipid levels, 
promoting learning and memory, strengthening the immune system, 
and warding off pathogens and cancer. 
It's a good fat, and it aids in a multitude of conditions.





Ghee can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.
Use it to saute veggies, as a topping on toast, to fry eggs in, the possibilities are endless.

In my case, I'm using it to see if I notice any difference 
in the symptoms I've been experiencing.
It's an easy thing to make myself and worth a try.



Homemade Ghee 
 (Veggie Belly)
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter


*Place butter in heavy pan (a cast iron skillet works well).  
*Cook on medium heat until all the butter is melted.
*Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the butter starts to foam and boil. 
*If you hear crackling, you're on the right track!

*Reduce the heat to low, and continue simmering  until the butter looks clear-
just look underneath the foam on top.
*Keep simmering the butter until the crackling subsides, about 10 minutes. 
Strain it and you're done!




The ghee is done when:
        ~ The crackling subsides.

          ~The ghee becomes a clear golden yellow liquid.
       ~The milk solids separate and settle in the bottom of the pan, and are light brown in color

 
Read about my quest for better health this year here.   
The quest continues here.






Simple Saturdays Blog Hop





14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such informable information. I am going to try this for my step mom who is having some stomach issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best explanation of how to make ghee I've read! I bought 1/2 pound of organic butter a month ago to make ghee, but haven't done it yet. Now I will. Did the cast iron discolour the ghee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Your 'pin it' button works great. :-D

      Delete
    2. The cast iron worked well, and I also made it with a stainless steel skillet. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. This was very informative.
    I switched to butter a few years back and no longer buy margarine. I've also made the switch to olive oil and most recently am trying GRAPE-ola ... I love it.
    Ghee is not something I've heard of it. But I think I've let the butter cook down like this on the stove and I just keep reusing it until it's gone.
    I'm going to work some of this up INTENTIONALLY and try it out.
    Pinning it also...thanks.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are giving it a try. We use butter as well, but this has a slightly different, smoother taste to it. It tastes very nourishing. I hope you'll let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  4. Interesting article, I've heard about Ghee before

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fascinating! I've heard of ghee, but didn't really understand what it was. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I've never made ghee. I've thought about doing it often enough but never actually did it. :) After seeing all the potential benefits, I think I just may need to make up a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! I've thought about trying to clarify my goat butter. Now I'll have to give it a try after spring kidding.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!