Friday, January 10, 2014

Organizing in the New Year (ONY)-Bathrooms




The onset of a new year is a great time to organize.
Not that I need an excuse, it always makes me feel good
to get things more efficiently placed.
I hope you'll join me for a series called,
ONY
Organizing in the New Year.
We'll focus on one area each week,
keeping these intentions in mind:

~Purge if necessary,
because you can't create your dream
if it's cluttered with things you don't use.
Keep in mind, one object in, one object out.
If it doesn't do something for you, 
pass it on to someone else who can use it.  
It's all good.

~Use what you have to create a more streamlined home 
that still has your special touch.
Repurposing functional items adds to their value.
If they make your life easier or help you feel more comfortable, 
they are worth keeping.

~Try moving everyday items to different rooms
and use your creativity to use them in a new way.
The worst that can happen is that 
you find it doesn't quite work in the new application.  
Just start over!

If you are working toward more order in your life,
I hope these posts will help you jump start your vision.
The best advice I can give you is to
just start somewhere





 Today we'll target the bathroom.
Here are a few things you can do to make things more orderly.
You can do one or all of them.
Another idea is to set a timer for 20 minutes,
and complete what you can in the allotted time.
Find what works for you and enjoy the process.
Stay focused on your goals and know that
with each effort, you are adding functionality and order
that will save you time, money and energy in the long run.


~Go through your medicine cabinet(s)and
toss out any medicines that are expired.




~Examine your make-up and if you don't remember when you bought it, you need to start over.
Write the date somewhere on the new item(s) you bring in.

~Rethink your storage and add bins, crates or baskets to store products underneath a sink.

~Consider adding storage by putting in a shelving unit or mounting baskets on the wall.

~Use everyday glass jars for storing daily-used items
like cotton swabs and brushes.

 

~Use glass or metal loaf pans to corral toiletries in drawers.


~Add a towel bar or tension rod with baskets to house bath toys.

 
 source

~Add towel bars to the back of a door to hang damp clothes or dry delicates or add more towels.

Towel Bar Trio

~Refresh drawers with a sprig of rosemary, thyme or some essential oils on a cotton ball.


I'd love to hear how it goes!  
Please feel free to add the bathroom organization ideas or projects 
you are tackling in the comment section.
Now, let's get organized!









One Project at a Time Link party - ABFOL

barnhopimage









16 comments:

  1. This sounds like it's going to be a great series with some good tips. I'm always looking for new ideas. Your medicine cabinet looks very organized already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll find something helpful here.
      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Great tips! And a wonderful series idea. I know I like to purge and organize from time to time. I am a pack rat by nature, but I try to fight it. Love seeing Staci's stuff in your cabinet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplifying at home spills over to other aspects of one's life. It really is worthwhile. Wish I could be there to help you purge! ;0)

      Delete
  3. Inspiring! I need to read before midnight so I have the energy to get to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great activity for the kids to help with. Good habits start early!
      Have a fabulous weekend, Jackie!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing these ideas...my bathroom is the one room in my house that I have no storage space so these were great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are inspired to make it work for you! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great series idea Daisy! I've been trying harder than usual the past couple months to seriously get rid of stuff, and it is heartening to see the boxes of not needed things pile up!
    In the bathroom my goal is to simplify items by removing duplicates or similar items so that there is less stuff and less time spent on choosing which to use! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great place to start! Just think of how you will be helping others by donating unneeded items. Unused duplicates could be donated to a homeless shelter or the Red Cross. It's a win-win!

      Delete
  6. These are such great tips. Our bathroom is the one place that stays pretty streamlined because it's small and there's only one. I may have to go through it again this week - you've inspired me.

    Also - I love what you said about starting somewhere. Sometimes, I just get too far ahead of myself and want to DO EVERYTHING. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was helpful for you, Kim. I give you a lot of credit for living in a home with one bathroom! EEK!
      One step at a time and it will get done. Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic post! Makes me laugh - we bought everything to re-do our bathroom, including new storage shelves and baskets and, well, they are still in boxes waiting and waiting for the mister in this household to get to them. :) In the meantime, I separated our medicine cabinet contents into 2 baskets - 1 is med's and 1 is first aid. These are stored in a regular wall cabinet in the bathroom because our medicine cabinet is small {new larger one is in the box waiting to be installed......}. It makes it much easier to find things and see what's good, what needs to be tossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Jay has been a little busy, huh? ;0)

      Delete
  8. You have some great storage ideas. I need to go through the undersink baskets again, now that you mention it. Thank you for sharing this at the HomeAcre Hop; I hope you'll join us again this Thursday.
    Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!