Monday, August 27, 2012

Planting Garlic

Several weeks ago, the veggie garden was solarized.
Over the weekend, the cover was taken off
so that I could plant one of my favorite crops.






This garlic was picked up at our local grocery store.
Starting with organic is important.



From one head of garlic...



you get all these chances for new plants.



About 12 were planted in the square-foot veggie garden.



Here's the root end.  



That's the part that gets planted down
about 6 inches.
Four should fit into one square foot plot.


Just for kicks, I put some into the butterfly garden.
I'm thinking of changing it into an herb garden,
as it's right near the kitchen door
and we have many other areas in the yard
that the butterflies enjoy.
I'll be curious to see if there's a difference in the two locations.
We were blessed with a bit of rain
in the afternoon.  Love it when Mother Nature
gives her seal of approval.

Garlic is one thing we use an awful lot of around here.
Guess we won't have to worry about any vampires, eh?



8 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here wondering since we (meaning my husband since he's the cook in the family) use garlic nearly every night, why I haven't tried growing it before. Thanks for this post - I'm most definitely going to pick some up today!

    eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! This is our first attempt at it too.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if you will see any rain from Isaac? I am hoping I get rain from Isaac. Will have to wait a week to find out. Good luck with your garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got some much-needed rain. Perfect since I just put the garlic in. Thanks for thinking of us, Jane!

      Delete
  3. Neat idea, butterfly garden :) I know it's good to switch things up every once in awhile too. Good luck with your garlic! I tried it for the first time last year and it was the easiest thing every so I hope to plant a lot more this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's that easy? Thank you for sharing your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that easy. It's all about the sharing... ;0)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!