Friday, February 7, 2014

Who Needs Tahini?




Hummus is a Middle Eastern dish,
made from ground chick peas (otherwise known as garbanzo beans).  
Chick peas are a great source of fiber, protein,
zinc, folic acid and magnesium.
They are often a component of my lunchtime salad,
as well as a favorite munchie as is.



From WebMD:
Here are a few ways to add hummus to your diet.

~1. Hummus serves as a super spread on sandwiches and wraps instead of mayo. 
You'll get more flavor with less fat.

~2.  Blend some hummus with broth, water, or wine to make a dressing for cold pasta salads.

~3. Fill a serving bowl with the hummus of your choosing and surround the bowl 
with assorted raw vegetables such as sugar snap peas, sliced cucumber or zucchini, 
grape or cherry tomatoes, and broccoli or cauliflower florets.

~4. Use hummus as a spread for veggie, turkey, or beef burgers in place of traditional condiments 
like mayonnaise, ketchup, barbecue sauce, or mustard.

~5. Make a better bruschetta with hummus. 
For a more satisfying serving, top a sliced toasted baguette with some hummus 
before adding a dollop of your favorite topping.

~6. Hummus works well as an appetizer served with whole grain crackers. 
Toasted whole wheat pita pocket crisps or grilled whole grain tortilla triangles are ideal.

~7.  Try hummus on your whole grain bagel instead of cream cheese.


  
Since there was no tahini in the house,
(I like making do with what's in the pantry),
this medley did the trick. 
You can use canned beans if you're in a pinch.
It's based on this recipe with a bit o' tweaking.
I just couldn't see adding THAT much garlic,
although it is one of my favorite flavors.

Hummus
 1 can garbanzo beans
or
1 1/2 C soaked and cooked chick peas
2 cloves garlic
2 t lemon juice
1 t cumin
1/2 t paprika
sea salt to taste

Makes 3 C
 Enjoy!



This really is the best hummus I've ever savored.
I think the secret is in the paprika.
Why not make some this weekend?

See how to cook beans easily here.
 Another tasty recipe for chick peas can be found here.






barnhopimage




Mary’s Kitchen



HomeAcre Hop

18 comments:

  1. Daisy, I've never had hummus that I know of. I have eaten chick peas and like them. Your recipe sounds like it's easy enough even for an old bachelor like me to make. I like things that are pretty plain and simple. This recipe seems to fit the bill for that. I might have to buy some garbanzo beans today. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Have a great hummus day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy and if you like chick peas, I think you'll enjoy the hummus!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I do love hummus and other bean dips. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I discovered it, but now I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bean dips and spreads are a great way to add protein to the diet!

      Delete
  3. Mmmmm! I've never added paprika to my hummus. It sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I love hummus and always forget to add tahini to my grocery list. I'll be making this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been so put off trying to make my own hummus because tahini is awfully expensive. This version will be so much cheaper than buying tahini or store bought hummus. So excited to make yours, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tastes waaaaaaaaaaaay better than store bought. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. Yum! I had to chuckle at the title of your post because the only reason I've never made my own for our hummus-loving household is because I can never find/justify the purchase of the tahini. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    Stopping by via the From the Farm Blog Hop. :-)

    Danielle
    TheHandcraftedHomestead.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you. You really don't miss the tahini. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Ooooh, this sounds good. I am a hummus addict! I have been putting off trying to make it on my own because I live in a rural area of Spain and can't find tahini anywhere (or sesame seeds for that matter). I would have to go to a Moroccan store in a big city to find it. But, if you say it's not really necessary, I'm psyched! We live in garbanzo and garlic country, and I was just given another bushel of garbanzos by a friend, so I'll be cranking up my pressure-cooker tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to live where those things are abundant! I hope you enjoy the twist on the recipe!

      Delete
  8. Try adding some olive oil as well, for creaminess. You can substitute ground sunflower seeds for Tahini if you like, or just add some roasted ones on top for extra crunch and flavor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you know that Peanut Butter is a yummy replacement for tahini? It really adds a nice flavor and works great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an interesting substitute! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!