Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 17



Big Birthday wishes to Sister on her special day!
You know we're sending you hugs and lots o' love your way!


Maple Hill Hop

Welcome back to 
The Maple Hill Hop,
where we share what's happening outside our doors.


The beets really enjoyed the cold snaps we've been having.
Along with a dose of much-needed rain,
they are finally getting some size to 'em.



Carrots are eaten frequently here,
so it'll be wonderful to harvest our own.
Next time these are planted,
it will be done in abundance.



 Another bunch of peas is starting to climb the baling twine in the square-foot bed.



So far, I've been able to graze on these,
but we don't get as many as I'd like before they peter out.
As a newbie gardener, I'm grateful for what we can harvest,
but it leaves me wanting more!


This Bibb lettuce was a success.
It's a powerful feeling to be able to 
take a stroll in the garden and pick up lunch at the same time!


Shasta daisy leaves




The plant in the foreground that looks like noodles is bulbine.
It's a Florida-friendly option
and I'll be transplanting more of it under this oak tree
from other parts of the garden.
It's such an easy care plant, and the bonus is that it is easily divided.


passionflower vine



When the passionflower is blooming,
I can't help but show pictures of it.
It's just amazing.


morning glory seed pods



Our neighbor was going to throw these stone out.
He was kind enough to offer them to us.
I've got a project in mind to create a raised bed
and use these as the border.


star jasmine


 Basil seeds were harvested on the weekend.



If you'd like some, just drop me a note.
Even if you are still in the throes of winter,
an herb garden can be easily started on a sunny windowsill.





Can't wait to see what's going on in your neck of the woods!
Let's HOP!




14 comments:

  1. oh, I really like the bulbine, I'm going to have to see if I can get some here. I'm just now starting to think about and plant some ornamentals but I want ones that are drought and heat hardy. Your garden is still so green, it's lovely to look at. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bulbine would do well in Texas. It is very drought tolerant and needs no fertilization. It's unaffected by either cold or heat, so you just can't lose! ;0)

      Delete


  2. Daisy, still not much going on here at least outside anyway. Yesterday I transplanted some onions from the tray where they were started to individual fiber pots. This morning they look strong and healthy. I will be transplanting more soon. I also start some more onions on the heat mat yesterday. Yeah, I like onions. It's the first time I have actually tried to start onions from seed. I'm not sure it's even worth the effort when a pack of 100 sets only costs a couple bucks but it's more of a challenge to see if I can do it. Well, there is the fact that many more choices of different kinds of onions are available when starting seeds. Tending grow lights and heat mats is a great way to end the last couple winter months and get into the gardening mode.

    Have a great day in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great transition to being out in the garden. It's comin'!

      Delete
  3. Well Happy Birthday to Sister! :) Hooray for the neighbors asking you if you could use their pavers. So nice! My goodness that's a lot of basil seeds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only harvested a portion of the plant. Thanks for your well wishes for Sister!

      Delete
  4. I added a link to part 2 of a beginner gardening series we're working on over at Modern Vintage Housewives: how to figure out how big to make this garden thing, anyway! :-)

    Thanks for hosting!

    http://modernvintagehousewives.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-determine-garden-size.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up with us! I'm looking forward to seeing your gardens!

      Delete
  5. Everything looks so pretty and green. Out my window all I see is white. Yes, I would LOVE some of your basil seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you email me privately, we can make arrangements for the seed. That snow adds needed moisture to the soil, so I guess it helps with your gardens in the long run. ;0D

      Delete
  6. The bibb lettuce is so pretty! It's hard to believe, but soon we will be getting our lettuce seeds planted. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost that time! Can't wait to see what you'll be growing!

      Delete
  7. Everything looks wonderful! I am desperate for peas and hope to get them planted soon! I feel the same - anything we can grow is never enough. :) Happy Birthday to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday wishes!
      I can't wait until we grow more than we need so that we can give the extra away! ;0)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!