Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Maple Hill Hop 3




Maple Hill Hop
Welcome to the Maple Hill Hop,
where we share what's going on outside our door.
Hope you'll join us today!




I'm so thrilled with the peas in the square-foot bed.
Since starting Farm School,
I'm more motivated than ever to keep the garden growing.




The beets are poppin' up.
The garden will be fertilized today,
so I'm curious to see how it affects their growth.



It's been a while since we've had lettuce growing.




The green beans are looking strong.
I noticed the flowers yesterday.
That means it won't be long before they're producing veg.


I've been watching them for signs of pests.
Guess I missed these leaf rollers.



Only a little damage done.
Hopefully, I'll stay on top of pest patrol
so we'll actually end up with some of the beans to eat!




These eggs are sometimes found underneath
and are easily removed.
As we don't use pesticides,
hand pickin' is the way to go.


The passionflower vine is mezmerizing.





Many zinnias are going to seed...



as is the basil.



The star jasmine seems to be coming back,


and creating a blanket of snowy blooms.



The butterfly vine has slowed down,
but still graces us with lovely yellow flowers.


cosmos




Cooler temperatures are on their way,
and it's none too soon.
It means more hours to garden
without feeling the effects of the heat and humidity.


moonflower bud




Hope you are enjoying time outdoors.
What's going on where you are?





8 comments:

  1. The passion flower is beautiful. That's on our list of plants to grow. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It attracts so many species of caterpillars. The flowers are simply amazing.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy seeing your plants. Love the moonflower bud and that is a beautiful passionflower.
    The cold wind is blowing us back indoors today. Looks like we may have our first freeze tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, it's too soon for freezing! Hope you have a nice hot cup of something to keep you toasty!

      Delete
  3. Your first photos here confused me, because it looked like spring in them. We don't have a long enough season for a fall planting of peas. At least, I don't think I've done that before. I did plant some beets, but most of them are probably not going to get large enough to be much to eat. I normally have lettuce this time of year, but what I planted must have dried out or something. I tried again the other day, since I purchased a little cold frame this summer, and will try putting that over the new crop when it gets colder.


    Enjoy your crops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blessing to live in a place where we can grow so much of the year. Sounds like a cold frame would be the way to go way up there!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!