Sunday, January 30, 2011

Good for My Soul

So, one of my resolutions this year was to volunteer
at least once a month.  Another was to visit a different
state park as a family.  Somewhere along the way,
I got the brilliant idea to combine the two.
Ta-da!
I am now a state park volunteer!




It's easy enough to do.  You simply fill out an application online:


and wait for someone to get back to you.
I had no longer emailed my application to the
address given, when the same week I heard
back from a ranger at Lake Kissimmee State Park
who was looking for help.




 This place is absolutely Florida in its natural state. 
Live oaks and moss abound.




 Trails are generously ornamented with saw palmetto
and other natives.



 Pine trees seem to touch the clear blue sky.



 Shadows dance across the forest floor
creating a myriad of images, all creating calm within.



 You'll find an abundance of wildlife here,
including more birds than I can name.
Not sure if you can see this one perched on the bridge.



 I watched this rascal cross the road
and systematically begin his burrowing.



 These two seemed right at home near the boat dock,
no doubt waiting for some tasty morsel to appear.


This was one of the first sights that greeted me.
I knew it would be a magical day...


The sense of serenity is almost palpable
here in this scenic park.
I feel privileged to be able to give back
just a little.
Go enjoy a state park!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Good for you for volunteering at a place so dear to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Daisy! I am inspired to do that myself now. Kissimmee SP is a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homesteading Quest-It gives me much more than I give it. But it feels good to contribute.

    Floridagirl-Great! Let me know where you end up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I would love to be in that beautiful park right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Daisy, what a great idea. Please share more about "your" park in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea? You are definitely a thinker. What will you be doing as volunteer work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought I'd do something like that when I retired but now you've got me thinking. That would be so cool. Whenever we go to any State or National parks I love talking to the volunteers to get their story of how they came to be doing it. Up in Alaska we met a guy who had worked as a teacher in Phoenix for most of his life. He moved to Alaska cause he just couldn't take the heat anymore. (Grin)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane-Hope you can come down and enjoy a Florida park soon!

    NanaK-I aim to share my adventures. Thanks for your interest!

    Susan-There are a variety of tasks available. I want to be outside mostly. This time I helped the ranger with some office stuff, maintaining the playground area, cleaning the kiosks, and clearing some brush from walkways. Stuff anyone can do, really.

    tami-Go for it! I'll bet there's a state park near you that could use some help!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!