Friday, January 14, 2011

A Few Hearty Survivors

I know it's only the beginning of January, 
but I can't recall a colder winter 
since we've lived in Central Florida.  
Even my relatives up north are willing to admit 
that we are getting some of what they are used to.

It's sad to say, 
but most of our gardens  are a monotone of brown, 
but there are a few
green specimens left to give us hope.


Parsley ready to harvest


The milkweed is hangin' in there.


The delicate allyssum isn't afraid of cold nights.

 
I think Meems over at Hoe and Shovel
has the right idea.  It's a good idea to plant
with the frosts and freezes in mind, instead
of trying to frantically run around covering up
every single thing in your garden.  
I think I'm done with that.  
If it's not hearty, it's not stayin'!
Maybe that's asking a lot 
considering the variance of temperatures 
we have been experiencing as of late,
but I'm willing to take the chance.  
After all, what's the worst that could happen? 
Hmmmm...
Maybe a trip to the nursery for a bit of perusing?





These are like a ray of sunshine, even on the dreariest of days.

One of two rosemary bushes that just keeps on going...

Can't believe these came back!

I'm not even sure what's in here, but I'm sure it'll be lovely!