Friday, October 1, 2021

Garden Friday

 
 
Welcome back to Garden Friday!
We have been blessed with gorgeous weather this week!
It's the perfect time to garden and get some outdoor projects done.

 
It's been a busy week for the caterpillars around the homestead.
We've had close to a dozen Monarchs hatch out of their chrysali.

 
These creatures never cease to amaze me,
and even Big K is mesmerized by the transformation.

 
We still have many more to come over the weekend.
It's quite an exciting time and I'm grateful I'll be home to see it!

 
In the garden, we are still awaiting a few of the Kajari melons to ripen.
This one's the closest, so I'll check it everyday.

 
There are even new flowers on the melon plants.

 
The melons share a bed with the sweet potatoes.
I'll be harvesting the sweet taters this weekend.
Can't wait to see what we get!

 
In another bed, the carrots and beets are holding their own.
In most of the other beds, germination was poor,
so I'll be reseeding this weekend as well.


 
I've been so happy with the lantana,
which I planted in old lawn mower tires.
They don't look like they are slowing down at all.

 
Some time has been spent picking seed pods,
so that I can have some of these hyacinth beans next year.
I also collected morning glory, moonflower and nasturtium seeds.

 
A mess of pesto was made this week
with some of the basil that was picked.
I've used it on my weekend pizza,
as it seems that I may have developed a sensitivity
to tomatoes.

 
All the beds have now been topped off with compost
and are ready for the fall/winter season.
This bed will be planted with garlic.


The first project this morning will be
to unload this trailer of woodchips.
I'll need a couple of more loads to complete the walkways
in the veggie garden.
So grateful to have found this close by for only $20 a yard.
 
 
The weather is absolutely picture perfect
and I'm hoping that it motivates me to 
consistently get things crossed off my list.
 
Here's hoping you are enjoying some beautiful autumn weather!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! A sensitivity to delicious tomatoes???? What a bummer. It's funny how these things can develop at different times of your life. Mine is melon (not watermelon thankfully though).

    The monarch photos are amazing!!! I've heard of Kajari melon but have not yet tried it. There's someone I watch on youtube who says it's her absolute favorite squash. Is it sweet? We've been using/growing/buying blue hubbard and pie pumpkins mostly because we like the texture and flavors more than butternut or acorn.

    We are trying to get to our outdoor to-do-before-winter lists as well. We've actually had an early leaf changing season and have had many already fall from our trees so leaf removal is added to the list early this year (and weekly).

    I don't know if you've tried it before, but if I have carrots that aren't very big before the first frost hits I leave them in the ground, add a bit of mulch cover and in the spring they grow nicely so we can enjoy early carrots.

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a bummer, but at least it's not a sensitivity to chocolate! That would be tough!

      I've yet to taste one of the Kajari melons because something always happens to them before I can get to it. I think next year, I will grow them on a trellis to keep them off the ground.

      Good to know about the carrots. It rarely freezes here (hope I'm not jinxing us), so I hope to be able to harvest some carrots all winter long.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hasn't it been beautiful weather?! I'll be interested to hear how the Kajari melon tastes. The monarchs there are pretty fantastic! I hope the tomato sensitivity will be a short term thing. That would be a sad thing. I've also felt like doing more outdoor things, and slowly but surely getting some things done. Hope your weekend is all you hope for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely gorgeous here too!

      Yes, I will try to reintroduce tomatoes after my hands clear up. If it doesn't go well, I can live with it.

      Enjoy this beautiful weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!