Friday, July 9, 2021

Garden Friday

 
 
Welcome to Garden Friday.
We had a taste of the storm Elsa yesterday,
but thankfully, nothing major to report.
We don't miss our hurricane days in Florida.
 
 
Our potato harvest was disappointingly small,
and I haven't quite figured out why.
They were planted in April, 
so they should have had plenty of time to size up and multiply.
We used organic potatoes from our Misfits order,
so I'm not sure if the fact that we didn't use "seed" potatoes made the difference.
Here's where we planted them.

 
After a few days of spotty rain,
the newly planted pumpkins decided to pop up.
We have two varieties started,
Cider Jack and Sugar Pie.
We haven't yet grown pumpkins successfully,
so we are hoping this is the year we reach our goal.

pumpkins

 
 

 
 The sweet potatoes are taking their time
sprawling on the cattle panel support.
By this time last year, we were crawling in vines,
but as any gardener knows, every year is different.


 
The melons seem to be getting a late start.
We at last have some flowers, although I haven't yet seen
any female flowers.
I'll keep a watch on them.

 
 
There are a few beets that could be harvested,
but since there's no rush, I'm leaving 'em be.
I'm actually surprised that they are growing in this heat.
Another round of beets will be sown in the fall.


 
 One of the treats awaiting me in the garden
are our delicious and juicy strawberries,
gifted us by a friend.
Her plants offer up the most scrumptious fruit
that are red all the way through.
It looks like there will be more on the way,
as many more flowers are appearing.

 
 
Several more volunteer butternut squash plants
have shown up around the chicken run.
Must be all that fabulous fertilizer around there.

 
 The loofah is blooming!  The loofah is blooming!
We'll soon have some to eat and some to let grow
for use in scrubbing ourselves silly!
I can't wait to see if the chooks will enjoy snacking on the fruit.
It tastes similar to zucchini.

 
 
Well, there are things out there 
that are eating our food.
This broccoli plant is peppered with holes.
Someone is certainly enjoying the greens.
Unfortunately, it's not us.
 

 
We know the culprit here-squirrels.
Last year, they climbed up our 14 foot sunflowers
and managed to scarf down every seed they could find.
Slowly but surely, all the sunflowers around the chicken run
are being chewed or knocked down for the same purpose.

 
 
When I manage to find a head that still has some seeds,
I bring it inside to dry,
so that the seeds can be saved for next year's planting.

 
Would you look at what I discovered yesterday on one of the milkweed plants?
I don't think they are monarch caterpillars,
but I won't know for sure until they get a bit bigger.
Monarchs usually bite the edges of the leaves,
and leave a cleaner cut, not this lacy effect.
This is the front of the leaf,


and this is the back.
We have plenty of milkweed planted,
so I have no idea why they all chose this one plant.
I should be able to identify them within the next couple of days.
 


The first California poppies are in bloom!
This is a first time plant for me,
and I think I will enjoy adding them to various parts of the garden.
They love full sun and don't require much in the way of steady watering,
as far as I can tell.
It's been fun adding a few new flowers to the garden beds.

Here's hoping that you are discovering new things in your garden every day!

6 comments:

  1. I love seeing all the beautiful photos of your garden! I have had my best potato crops from organic potatoes I purchased at our health food store. I used some of them again this year so my fingers are crossed that I am successful again.

    We had a similar issue with our sunflowers in years past. Those squirrels are tough to deter! I hope your chickens enjoy the loofah! And I certainly hope you are successful with pumpkins and melons!! :)

    I bet you don't miss the hurricane days of Florida. I can't even imagine. Happy you've received rain and nothing more. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about your potatoes. I hope you'll do a garden feature on your blog soon.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The poppy is lovely! I should try growing them again. I haven't had luck so far. Those caterpillars have been on the milkweed before here as well, though I don't remember what they are. Wishing you a most bountiful pumpkin harvest. Pesky squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info about those caterpillars. I've been checking for them daily, to make sure they don't destroy our milkweed crop!

      Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Daisy, it's always a joy to what going on in your garden. We just had a storm with 90 MPH wind come through this last weekend. Nothing like a hurricane but our trees here aren't used to that kind of wind and it caused a huge city wide power outage and tree damage. It snapped off power poles when trees hit the power lines. Some won't have power for several more days. I had a big branch break from a tree in my front yard and fall across the street. I spent most of the day Saturday cleaning it up and then Sunday helping my neighbor with his branch. It's been a wild weekend. I kind of like it in a weird way because it brings all the neighbors on the street to work together for a common goal.

    Have a great day in the garden.

    Nebraska Dave
    Urban Farmer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful you are okay.
      I remember well the sense of community whenever a major hurricane went through where we lived. Folks would check on each other and help with clean up of debris. Wouldn't it be nice if it were like that all the time?

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!