Friday, March 26, 2021

Garden Friday

 
 

Welcome to our first Garden Friday of 2021!
And let me tell you,
spring has sprung in the Piedmont!
This week was spent enjoying gorgeous spring weather
and tying up those dreadful loose ends.


This butterfly bush was transplanted from a pot
to the area next to the work bench.
I'm looking forward to a bajillion blooms throughout the season.
I also managed to transplant some hyacinth and tulips
that needed a better place to call home.

 
The blueberries are in, folks!
This area on the south side of the property was just begging for something.
It gets shade in the morning, but full sun the rest of the day.
I took some of the fallen branches and made a long, narrow bed
and planted them four feet apart.

 
Since I hadn't taken a soil test to determine the pH,
I decided to add a bit of sulfur to each hole before planting.
Worm castings and egg shells were also added,
as they are to anything I plant.
Blueberries like an acidic soil,
and the sulfur creates the right balance.
I will be doing a soil test in the next few weeks,
not only for the blueberries,
but for all the raised beds in the vegetable garden.


We have six plants in all, of 4 different varieties, 
including climax, powderblue, premier, and tifblue.
These are all rabbiteye types, which require more than one variety 
for cross pollination.
The three shown here were this year's purchases from Extension,
while 3 others were transplanted from a previous location.

 
The Yukon Gold potatoes were planted in one of the large,
rectangular beds.
These had been split in half and left to "chit" for a couple of days,
as you can see the eyes are starting to grow.



These potatoes were received in our "Misfits" order a few weeks ago,
and since I couldn't find any organic Yukons in the grocery store,
I decided to try a little experiment.
They were buried about 6 inches under the soil,
cut side down, and should grow through the shredded leaves in a matter of weeks.
 We'll see how they do.
 
 
Some time was spent this week
creating a larger run area for the chooks.
Since we can't let them free range any longer
(read why here),
I wanted to make sure they had more room to groove.
We bought more fencing and wrapped it around the garden area.
This will hopefully allow them to catch any bugs
before they get to the goodies in the garden.
I've been adding a few things to their run
to give them more to do.

 
After last week's incident with Queenie,
most of the coop was dismantled to do a thorough cleaning.
One of the best features of the Eglu
is the ease in keeping it clean.
As this time around, 
it needed much more than just my weekly scrubdown,
I scoured all of the major surfaces to remove any trace of blood.
My sweet Queenie is no worse for wear,
but it's always hardest on the momma, isn't it?
I felt awful knowing that she had been hurt.
She's doing fine now,
and for the first time on Wednesday,
she actually climbed up on my lap and let me stroke her back.
We're making progress.
 

 
I've been keeping the chook feed and treats in metal containers right next to the coop.
It's so much more efficient this way, and I love that the squirrels can't penetrate the metal.
Take that, ya pesky varmints!


 
What a welcome change this week.  
It felt good to take time to tend to the garden
for as long as I wanted.
 The hope for this weekend is to 
get the beds topped off with compost
and do some serious seed sowing.

What's going in your garden this spring?
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Seeing planting progress makes this such a happy and hopeful time of year. Blueberry bushes are a great addition! We love ours.

    Glad to hear Queenie is better. A better set-up will keep them safer and bring you peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's hope so.
      Thanks for visiting, Leigh!

      Delete
  2. Nice! We have chickens in the making. Currently 5 are in our homemade brooder box, with 15 more due to arrive any day now. We will have time to bet the chicken house and run built just as they need to transition outside. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the perfect spot for blueberries. Such a yummy homestead treat. So glad your Queenie is doing well. As long as the potatoes weren't commercial ones, I expect they'll do great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't wait for fresh blueberries! The potatoes are from Misfits and organic, so I'm hoping they will do fine. Time will tell...

      Delete
  4. Your yard is so lovely. Thanks for sharing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daisy - great to read a positive update on Queenie! I'm glad she has recovered. Poor thing!

    So jealous of your beautiful weather and gardening opportunities. Our potato seedlings will be arriving from Hudson Valley Seed Co. probably mid-May. Too cold for them to ship now. We had a horrible time with mice in the garden last year: they built a nest in the potato row and demolished our crop. It was so depressing! We have to figure out a new solution for this year.

    Hope you have a FANTASTIC week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes for Queenie. She seems no worse for wear.

      Oh, so sorry to hear about the mice. Do you have cats? That might be a solution. ;0D

      I hope spring gets closer and closer with each passing day.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!